Airfix 1:72 C130J Hercules circa 1971 - clear parts

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi

I've been given this by my father-in-law - note the price of 21 shillings and sixpence :

Its a rescue job...

The biggest issues I have is with the clear parts and the decals.

The main cockpit transparency is OK but a lot of the smaller parts have been glued in and have cement marks - I have removed them from the
fuselage but I'm looking for any tips on (a) if its possible to clean them up or (b) what you'd recommend to replace them.

The decals are present but they look a bit "crisp" and I suspect they are cracked (or will be when I try to apply them)

I'm not looking for any expensive aftermarket goodies but I'd like to finish the kit for my father-in-law.

I'm not really an aircraft builder - my normal genre is armour so this could be fun.

Regards
Mark

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Hi

I've been given this by my father-in-law - note the price of 21 shillings and sixpence :

(b) what you'd recommend to replace them.

I would try removing one of the broken windows and use micro kristal klear and see if it will do a good job of replacing the ''glass''

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What Gary says was going to be my suggestion too: since the smaller windows are mostly round portholes, you can put something like Kristal Klear or Humbrol ClearFix into the window opening and make the whole window that way. Alternatively, if you have a punch and die set (or a leather punch), you could try making round windows from clear plastic, even from some packaging material. You won’t be able to glue that with model glue, but Kristal Klear, ClearFix or PVA glue should work well enough.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Cheers

pretty much lines up with my own thoughts.

One more question - can kristal Klear be cast (thinking of bottles rather than windows) ?

Regards
Mark

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It sets by evaporation of the solvent, so casting won't work. You should be abler to build it up in layers though.

Pete