Airfix 1/72 Curtis Tomahawk 11B

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes hard to believe I know, my last plane was on in the other house, a Russian , this is not of course my normal choice in any scale but a gift from a neighbor.
He was having a clear up and found this, none of his children he assured me would miss it or even think about building it. Rather than thank him and put in in a cupboard I decided to have a go. ( It did say a starter kit )
What a lovely plastic to model with, no flash, nice detail, easy to follow instructions, yes I know its a beginners kit but well drawn and clear.

2019.jpg
Didn't use the paint or the glue !

2019_2.jpg
If a cheap kit like this can be flash free there is no excuse for other manufactures who buy in old worn out molds to produce rubbish for a quick profit.

2019_3.jpg
The office.:smiling2:ive painted the inside a light greeny blue, seat and everything else black.

2019_4.jpg

Used about ever decent peg and clamp I had for the main frame.

2019_5.jpg

:nerd:

Needed a little filling where the body of the plane joins the wing section , but only on one side, used some greenstuff.
Primed in white ready for the upper side tomorrow pm.
2019_6.jpg

2019_8.jpg

2019_9.jpg
Might need a little sanding on the top behind the aerial and there were a few snots ( Technical term from the building industrious used to express the sight of mortar on a wall , seemed fair to use it here :smiling3: ) on the upper wings.

Remember I 'am not a wingy builder and certainly would not pick this scale by choice, but am enjoining it .
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Now that is a surprise! It looks like you're doing a lovely job on it too John.

Reactions: JR

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice progress john , its a great little kit isnt it? i did one of these a while back and really enjoyed it. Dont forget the soviets used these too ,in case youre missing your usual subject matter , all you need is six stars and a number ! cheers tony

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Well now that's a surprise. But sounds like you're enjoying it and you're certainly doing a fine job.
Jim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat work John, moving to the wingy side?:nerd:

These new ones from Airfix are indeed little gems to build.
Was looking at this kit too and seeing how nice the sprues look and the end result, have to get it too:smiling:.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
:thinking:...
Well I’m just as surprised as everyone else, to see you tackle this!

looking very nice so far:thumb2:

• Haha

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Glad you are enjoying the wingy stuff. Good luck with the wet stuff

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Now that is a surprise! It looks like you're doing a lovely job on it too John.
That's two of us Peter. :smiling:
Nice progress john , its a great little kit isnt it? i did one of these a while back and really enjoyed it. Dont forget the soviets used these too ,in case youre missing your usual subject matter , all you need is six stars and a number ! cheers tony
Hi Tony, yes a stunning kit, thanks for that ! I was unaware of that gem, now this gets even better. Any idea of the colors please ?
Hi John
Well now that's a surprise. But sounds like you're enjoying it and you're certainly doing a fine job.
Jim
I'am Jim , think I will look up some 1/72 Russian planes and build them in between 1/35 builds.
Neat work John, moving to the wingy side?:nerd:

These new ones from Airfix are indeed little gems to build.
Was looking at this kit too and seeing how nice the sprues look and the end result, have to get it too:smiling:.
Yes Fernando , thinking about the odd one as I said to Jim. Certainly not to your standard unfortunately though :disappointed:

Nice work so far John.
Thanks Ian.
:thinking:...
Well I’m just as surprised as everyone else, to see you tackle this!

I put it down to him being another year older Si. Next birthday he will build a floaty thing. LOL

Ha did the Russians have any ships ? I know they did , but never seen a model kit. :smiling::smiling::smiling:

John.

looking very nice so far:thumb2:
Thanks Si . Well seemed unfair if I just stuck it in the cupboard, and its been a joy to put together, no tracks, just 3 wheels . :smiling3::smiling3:.

Glad you are enjoying the wingy stuff. Good luck with the wet stuff
Steve, That is the part that I wasn't looking forward to, that masking , but now finding the Russians used it throws a new light on it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Tony, yes a stunning kit, thanks for that ! I was unaware of that gem, now this gets even better. Any idea of the colors please
I’m not at home at the moment John but I’ll certainly have a look at my references tomorrow. The soviet lend lease p40s were often painted in standard US colours , either green and brown with grey underneath or olive drab over neutral grey, most of the time the Russians just added their stars and numbers . There were a lot of winter whitewash finishes too . I’ll have a look and get you some more info , cheers tony

• Love

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just found this .
1579116089367.png

For discussion purposes only .
I’m not at home at the moment John but I’ll certainly have a look at my references tomorrow. The soviet lend lease p40s were often painted in standard US colours , either green and brown with grey underneath or olive drab over neutral grey, most of the time the Russians just added their stars and numbers . There were a lot of winter whitewash finishes too . I’ll have a look and get you some more info , cheers tony

Hi Tony, did a quick search on the net and found a couple, but any more information that you have would be appreciated
Thanks.
John.

Attachments

• 1579116267396.png
    1579116267396.png
    519.1 KB · Views: 4

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Decided to do something different, some winter wash instead. First I did the blue under side, followed by some good old 4 BO.:nerd::smiling3:
Tomorrow I shall stay on a very light coat of chipping , then apply the wash.

2019_10.jpg

2019_9.jpg

That blue is a little dark , guess who pick up the wrong bottle. :smiling3:
Left the canopy sitting with some masking on, and its painted as well , that is going to be fun trying to remove it, it was bad enough putting it on !

John.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi John sorry just found this very nice job, it going to to be different in Russian markings that for sure, I did one of these for the starter kit GB I thought it was a great little kit.
Good luck with the rest of the build.
Pete :thumb2: .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John sorry just found this very nice job, it going to to be different in Russian markings that for sure, I did one of these for the starter kit GB I thought it was a great little kit.
Good luck with the rest of the build.
Pete :thumb2: .
Thanks Pete, yes it will, with so much stuff on lease lend it gives a lot of choice

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I know I have not been here long but I never figured you for a wing man John, nice job by the way.

Andy.

• Haha

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I know I have not been here long but I never figured you for a wing man John, nice job by the way.

Andy.
Thanks , no Andy neither did I !!!!:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Looking good John, and pleased that you are able to Sovietize it. There's always a way!

• Haha