Airfix 1/72 Dorner Do17Z

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Putting the tail together. One of these actuators went on well
P1150867.JPG(sorry about the excess glue!) but the other side fell apart as I was removing it from the sprue.
P1150866.JPG
I don't have any square strip, but managed to find a piece of plasticard about the right thickness and slice a thin sliver off itP1150868.JPG
I'm glad I made it too long, the first try at bending it went wrong, but the second was... well, acceptable.
Here it is fitted, I'll try to neaten the joint tomorrow when it's hardened.
P1150869.JPG
It looks worse in the photo than in reality.
Cheers
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A bit more done. Sanded the repair, fitted flaps, fins/rudders, elevators and ailerons, and the rear wheel so the housing can be painted the same time as the underside.
P1150870.JPG
Those bomb bay and gear bay doors are just there to save on masking! Airfix kindly provide both closed and open doors. They suggest building the undercarriage now, but I'm going to leave that until most of the painting is done.
P1150871.JPGThat doesn't look too bad.
Also painted the bombs. There's a choice among having 10 x 50 kg bombs or auxiliary fuel tank in one bay, and either two 250kg bombs in the other bay or another 10 x 50 kg bombs. I'm going with the full load of 50 kg bombs. Always a pain to hold these for painting, so I've stuck them down on double-sided tape, and will have to touch up the base of the fins later.
P1150872.JPG
I think the next task will be a masking marathon - I bought some P-masks to make the glazing easier, since there are 59 panes!
P1150873.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice repair Peter, this bending lark is not as easy as it looks .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sorry I haven't been posting much recently - I spent a lot of time on my Triumph, made a couple of shelving units and a new bird table (from teak recycled from a settee) for SWMBO, then my computer threw a wobbly...
Managed to get a bit done though. The bombs are all on their racks in the bomb bay - sorry, no photos as the closed bay door is glued in with Maskol.
P1150874.JPG
I turned out that removing all the bombs from the sprues to paint them wasn't such a good idea, as the ones for the left and right sides are slightly different, which of course I only realised after gluing a few onto the racks! Luckily the glue hadn't set, so I was able to get them off and sort them out.
Canopy glazing is now all on, as are the four small windows in the 'roof' of the cabin:
P1150886.JPG
Those are tiny, and were a real struggle to glue. Eventually I put them in dry, and wicked some Klear around the edges, which seemed to work well, so I did the same around the main canopy sections where there were some small gaps where I was a bit too sparing with the Gator's Grip.
Then started the mask-athon. Some of the masks are tiny, and my ancient eyes were stuggling, so it took over an hour to get this far:
P1150887.JPG
Now I need to turn it the other way up and add the rest of the canopy masks, as well as covering the engines and the MGs. Only 24 more of the P-Masks to go!
Cheers folks!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Got some paint on the underside:
IMG_20200711_141937632.jpg
Also squirted some aluminium on the wheels, since there are masks included in the set.
IMG_20200711_141943372.jpg
A bit too shiny, but I expect a black wash will take care of that.
Thanks for looking.
Pete

First Name
Gary
Nice and patient does it Peter. I did a couple of Eduard WWI fighters with similar delicate and small parts. Crap kits I have to say and the decals just fell apart so never again. But that looks a really nice kit.

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Gary. This is a nice kit, although there have been a couple of minor issues, nothing a smear of filler and a few rubs with a sanding stick can't fix.
Pete

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice progress Pete. I do like the Do 17. The Airfix kit looks like a representation too. The detail looks fine and the fit (with a little persuasion perhaps) looks good. You’re making a terrific job of it too. Looking forward to the progress
I wish a manufacturer would bring out a 1/32 ‘flying pencil’.
Cheers
Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's looking great Peter, I always had a suspicion I wanted one of these, now I know, I do !

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Dunkelgrun on:
P1150889.JPG
Also the props and tyres have been painted.
P1150890.JPG
I used Stynylrez black primer - can't remember buying it but though it was about time I gave it a try. Seemed to spray OK.
That's looking great Peter, I always had a suspicion I wanted one of these, now I know, I do !
Go for it Colin!

Cheers
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Unmasked:
P1150891.JPGP1150892.JPG
A few touch-ups needed, and the finish is a bit spattery, but I'm quite pleased with that. I need more practice with the Mr Color paints.
Looks like nice weather tomorrow, so I might sneak off to the Shuttleworth Collection for the day - I'm a member, so it's free. Shame the cafe isn't open.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Impressed with your masking of the cockpit Peter.
Colours are good, was that decorators tape you used with a low tack, seems to have worked well .

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Pete

Just caught up on this. It's looking very good indeed!!

The thought of all those masks though......

ATB

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Impressed with your masking of the cockpit Peter.
Colours are good, was that decorators tape you used with a low tack, seems to have worked well .
Mostly Tamiya tape John, with a couple of bits of the orange Badger tape as well, as it was just the width I needed.
The cockpit masks were P-Mask vinyl masks, but it still took a couple of hours to fit them all. The canopies came out well, the wheels not so much.
Pete

Reactions: JR