Airfix 1/72 Dorner Do17Z

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Pete, Pardon my "Yankee" ignorance....what is the Shuttleworth collection? BTW that splinter job came out great! Rick H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mostly Tamiya tape John, with a couple of bits of the orange Badger tape as well, as it was just the width I needed.
The cockpit masks were P-Mask vinyl masks, but it still took a couple of hours to fit them all. The canopies came out well, the wheels not so much.
Pete
Thanks Peter, the reason I thought it was decorators tape was it seemed very wide compared to my 6mm Tamiya.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Tamiya make that in a number of widths. I have 6 mm, 10 mm and 18 mm, but I think there’s more sizes still.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hi Pete, Pardon my "Yankee" ignorance....what is the Shuttleworth collection? BTW that splinter job came out great! Rick H
You're excused Rick. It's a collection of vintage & classic aircraft, cars, motorbikes, buses, steam engines, and more. Usually two Sea Hurricanes there as well a a Spitfire. Not much from your side of the pond though! Have a drool here: https://www.shuttleworth.org/
Unfortunately both the restaurant and the engineering workshop are closed due to covid. The workshop usually has a sale table with books, old tools, and sometimes model kits - you just pay what you think they're worth.
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thank you Peter, that really looks like a fun outing ......would love to see pics. if you took any. Rick H.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Rick, I've been going there for quite a few years, and have several hundred photos. I don't want to fill up John's server! Anything in particular you'd like to see?
Here's a Hurri to be going on with:
P1060294.JPG
Dunno what aircraft this is a model of, but the roundel decals on the wings are out of register:
P1060270.JPG
Taken in the Swiss Garden, usually £15 to get in I think, but this summer they're letting members of the Shuttleworth Vintage Aircraft Society in for nothing.
A few more to give you an idea of the flavour of the collection:
P1060310.JPGP1060343.JPGP1060333.JPG
Well worth a visit for anyone who finds themselves in or close to Bedfordshire. All the planes fly, all the cars/bikes/trucks/buses run.
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wow! You are very fortunate to be that close to so much history. Thank you for sharing these with me and anyone else interested in the forgotten bits of our past. Rick H.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You have quite a few museums in the US too Rick. I've been to a couple of the battleships, PIMA, and another in Arizona whose name I can't remember, buy my days of travel to the US for work are long gone now. I'm lucky in that I can drive to Hendon RAF Museum, IWM Duxford, Midland Air Museum, Newark Air Museum in about an hour from home.
Anyway, back to the Dornier - the undercarriage legs are in, and seem to be fairly solid. I would have got further by now, but I'd stupidly painted the wheel covers (mudguards) in the wrong colour, so they've been repainted and will be fitted later.
P1150893.JPGP1150894.JPG
These legs fitted together, and to the locating points in the nacelles, very well indeed. Seen from the side they're both at the same angle.
The bomb bay is looking OK too.
P1150895.JPG
I went with the full load of 50 kg bombs rather than the reduced load with extra fuel or the 4 larger bombs, as I feel the greater number of bombs says more about the relatively indiscriminate nature of bombing at that time.
Thanks for looking in
Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Loving this pete , a quality build in every sense , and a great advert for modern Airfix too , cheers tony

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've nearly finished gluing bits on, so started the decals.
P1150896.JPG
Airfix provide lots of stencils, but the decal placement diagram doesn't show where they go! I made a start, trying to identify the stencils on the decal diagram, but some just aren't visible.
P1150898.JPG
Emailed Airfix to ask if they have a separate diagram for the stencils. Then I found a review of the kit on the IPMS USA site, which mentioned a separate stencil placement diagram... The kit comes in a top opening box, and I'd placed the box inside the inverted lid... can you guess what was in the lid?
P1150899.JPG
Oh well, I've got mostsome of them in the right place!
Just 62 more to go now. These tiny stencils can be really frustrating and difficult to handle, but they seem to bring the model to life.
Thanks for watching
Pete

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pete,
That is a cracking build. i have mislaid instructions and parts only to find them when the build was finished lol.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I've nearly finished gluing bits on, so started the decals.
View attachment 394000
Airfix provide lots of stencils, but the decal placement diagram doesn't show where they go! I made a start, trying to identify the stencils on the decal diagram, but some just aren't visible.
View attachment 394001
Emailed Airfix to ask if they have a separate diagram for the stencils. Then I found a review of the kit on the IPMS USA site, which mentioned a separate stencil placement diagram... The kit comes in a top opening box, and I'd placed the box inside the inverted lid... can you guess what was in the lid?
View attachment 394002
Oh well, I've got mostsome of them in the right place!
Just 62 more to go now. These tiny stencils can be really frustrating and difficult to handle, but they seem to bring the model to life.
Thanks for watching
Pete
Looking great pete , I agree on both counts - Hundreds of tiny stencils are a pain to apply , but they do really make a massive difference to the look of a model , cheers tony

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I built this kit when it first came out, about 5 years ago and found it to be excellent. You are doing a really good job of it.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks John, it certainly is an excellent kit.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It was all going well, all the stencils in place, mostly the right place... but this happened:
P1150900.JPG
I must have picked it up by the fuselage before the decal had dried, but didn't notice for a couple of days. It's wet in the photo, I'll try to keep it wet for a while and see if I can straighten it out.
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I did the same thing with a fresh paint job........big, old, out of scale thumb print. :rolling:
Rick H

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, removing the canopy masks isn't going very well:
P1150901.JPG
Going to need a lot of scraping. (Yes Ron, I know! :tongue-out2:)

Pete

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Going to need a lot of scraping. (Yes Ron, I know! :tongue-out2:)

Pete

I use a cocktail stick, cut off at 45 degrees like a wooden chisel for that. It won't scratch the plastic (with a bit of luck) and you can keep 'sharpening' it by re-cutting the end.

A bit of gloss varnish on the clear bit afterwards will tidy it up too.