Airfix 1/72 Dorner Do17Z

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Right, seems to be fixed now, thanks John.
P1150821.JPG
I bought this about two years ago, quite a bargain considering it's a 2014 new tool.
Four sprues in the usual light grey plastic:
P1150822.JPGP1150823.JPG
Good detailing and I can't see any sink marks. No doubt they'll show up when I start painting! Some VERY fragile looking parts so I'll have to be less clumsy than usual/
Nice Cartograf decals, with lots of stencils, but no swastikas, and a good clear shiny clear sprue.
P1150824.JPG
I've ordered a set of canopy masks.

Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Pete

Interesting kit. I've bought a couple of the new tool kits since coming back to the hobby and like them a lot. Will be following this one with interest.

The only problem I have is that Vallejo light grey primer is almost exactly the same colour of the plastic Airfix use! Next time I'll add a drop of black to darken it up.

Good luck with the build and especially that glass!

ATB

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That looks a beautifully tooled kit pete, and a bargain at a tenner .Some very fine details - weighted tyres , dropped flaps , very tidy looking cockpit and even four mesters too ( with seperate arms!) Good idea with the canopy masks too , I wouldnt fancy trying to mask all those little panes in 1/72 by hand ! Cheers tony

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks for the comments folks. I haven't done much on this, I've been busy on the 1:1, changed the gearbox and overdrive oil, topped up the diff, found the source of a small but annoying water leak, took the sump off to change the gasket.
I did manage to get the first three parts - support frame for the pilot's seat - assembled:
P1150825.JPG
I've done a bit more since taking that photo, the seat and control column are attached and it's had a coat of paint. Just about everything internal is in RLM02 according to Airfix, and that can't really be argued with, so the sprues have been cleaned up a bit and had a coat of Vallejo 71044.
Here's the undercarriage - this is going to be fragile!
P1150826.JPG
P1150827.JPG
Should get some more done tomorrow.
Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice start Pete , three parts just for the seat frame !? If that’s anything to go by the cockpit should be very busy ! The undercarriage looks fragile now but I reckon once it’s all together you’ll be surprised at how strong it is . Cheers tony

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
This cockpit is very fiddly. I'd glued the pilot's seat to the support frame, but had it too far back, so had to remove it. Actually that wasn't a bad thing, as without it I could see where the support
frame is supposed to fit to the sidewall
.P1150828.JPG
That part that looks like a steering wheel was hitting the back of the seat before.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like a well-detailed kit right out of the box. I’m wondering why the struts are there on the fuselage sides, where the wings go. Will they be visible though an open bomb bay?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That looks like a well-detailed kit right out of the box. I’m wondering why the struts are there on the fuselage sides, where the wings go. Will they be visible though an open bomb bay?
Yes, it will Jakko. Might just be visible through the ventral gun bay as well.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Plodding on with this. Slow progress as it's a case of fit a part, touch up the paint, let dry, fit another... The crew compartment is certainly detailed:
P1150829.JPGP1150830.JPGP1150831.JPG
The one of those wickerwork seats is a bit slanted, but I can't see what I've done wrong - the backrest of the seat hits an item on the sidewall.
Decal is drying on the IP at the moment.
Pete

First Name
Gary
Sometimes that happens with the extra seats. It did on my 111. But that is a seriously detailed cockpit pete. Great, patient job so far

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job pete , i never realised there were four crewmen crammed into the cockpit , not much chance of social distancing ! Cheers tony

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sorry I haven't posted for a while, I've been distracted by the TR4A and the garden. Fixing a water leak on the Triumph led to changing the sump gasket, then the timing cover seals...
Anyway, back to the Dornier.
P1150850.JPG
The fit of the belly gunner's position needed a bit of gentle persuasion. There's a small gap in the corners that'll need filling:
P1150851.JPG
The wings are now on after a major struggle. One side has a step at the wing root, and the seam along the leading and trailing edges will need some filler.
P1150852.JPGP1150853.JPG
You can see I've started building up the nacelles too, and the engines have been assembled and painted - more pics coming soon.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Try to find a coin that fits and stick it into the front of the nacelle with Blu-Tack.