Miko's Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane mk I

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
It's been a long time since I built a Hurricane, decades probably, when I noticed this group build I decided I'd like to join in, and with peterairfix's consent given here I am! When I phoned the LMS I was pretty sure he would have a 1/72 Hurricane but I was hoping it wouldn't be Airfix, honestly, I'm not over keen on the post Hornby acquisition, made in China kits, they are a bit to heavy on detail, the panel lines remind me of Matchbox kits of old, unfortunately an Airfix gift set is all he had (don't get me started on the whole gift set thing!!) .

Lovely boxart

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-4.jpg

Standard new Airfix type instructions which is a good thing, apart from just listing Humbrol paint numbers and not colour names

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-2.jpg

Sharn't be needing these. . . (who uses 'sharn't these days? I like it, I'm going to use it more often . . . . Don't tell me I sharn't! Ha!)

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-3.jpg

According to scalemates this mold dates from 2013. Regular Airfix soft-ish grey styrene, these 'spark eroded' type molds seem to last well, it's all good, apart from the aforementioned heavy detailing

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-1.jpg

Honestly, I'm not sure how I'm going to finish this one, no IJAF or raspberry ripple (I have a Mk19 spitfire for that!) but it will be a brightly coloured what if?

Miko (now, where's those sprue cutters)

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Um, 'shan't'. No 'r'. At least, that's what my Oxford English dictionary, from 1979 says... God, I sound like one of those Intraweb dinks who insist on correcting EVERY use of 'your' to 'you're', especially when 'you're' has been used correctly in the first place

Anyhoo, IMHO this is a lovely little kit, which I used for my K5083 prototype, and I've got bits with the intent to do L1548, the first in squadron service. Later

The only problem I found is the CAD-made undercarriage legs are a VERY tight fit, but they are robust enough to survive handling until they click into place
So far, I've actually found starter set paints to cover very well, when brushed

Well, wrong mark to do an IJA one! They were Mk.IIs

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This makes up into a great little kit.

Chris is spot on, despite them getting a regular put down, the paints supplied with the kit are excellent and cover well. Providing you keep your A.B. in the box! ;)

If you don't intend using the paints, brush or glue, I will take them off your hands. They will keep me going for ages.

Ron

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Um, 'shan't'. No 'r'. At least, that's what my Oxford English dictionary, from 1979 says... God, I sound like one of those Intraweb dinks who insist on correcting EVERY use of 'your' to 'you're', especially when 'you're' has been used correctly in the first place

Yep, I missed the 'r', you're right, my mistake, and, if I'm honest I do think like those 'dinks' you mentioned, I'm just not brave enough to confront anyone with it!
. . . I used for my K5083 prototype,

Cah! why didn't 'I' think of that! Ahh well, maybe next time.

Miko (processing progress photos, just a minute. . . . )

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Yep, I missed the 'r', you're right, my mistake, and, if I'm honest I do think like those 'dinks' you mentioned, I'm just not brave enough to confront anyone with it!
Yeah, but most of the 'your' 'you're' correctors have heard one is wrong, so they like to put the other one in, but their correction is incorrect

Looking at your sprues,you've got the later tail under piece and the three-bladed prop. There is an alternate sprue with the very early flat underside (slightly rippled top, as Vic and Bob out it), and the two-blade prop. If you DO go for K5083 later, I've got spares, if uou want one. LATER.

BTW my Hurri prototype is on here somewhere. Slight self-promotion...

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
The only problem I found is the CAD-made undercarriage legs are a VERY tight fit, but they are robust enough to survive handling until they click into place
So far, I've actually found starter set paints to cover very well, when brushed

Yep, that's my experience too, so far. Just a 'tiny' bit of flash causes little gaps and extra tight fitting parts, so test fitting is essential with kits like this one.

A remarkably detailed cockpit and landing gear bays, a bit lost on me really, most of it won't be seen once the canopy is on. but I do appreciate they take the time and effort to add detail.

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-8.jpg

I don't have WWII RAF colours in my new fangled Japanese acrylics collection so it's the trusty Humbrol enamels. masking tape seat harnesses add a bit to this well represented cockpit

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-10.jpg

I spent a minute or two cutting away at the excess decal carrier film of the cockpit instrument panel only to find there wasn't any! Well done Cartograph! Perfect printing. Only now I see the 'interior green' needs another coat, but, it won't be seen anyway!

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-9.jpg

Twelve parts in and the wing upper and lower parts go together, a good fit but the trailing edge is a bit thick.
This is what Steve was saying about being a tight fit, I had to snip bits of the cockpit structure to get it to join with the closed up fuselage, however, the fit despite having complex curves and angles is a very good gap free fit!

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-12.jpg

Not sure why Airfix when for assembly of fuselage 'thirds'? But, it fits well so can't complain.

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-14.jpg

Time to assemble the empennage and then primer paint!

Miko (enjoying this one)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Lik

Like I said above, there's an alternate sprue to do the earliest Hurricanes that didn't have the ventral strake. Said sprue also has the two-blade prop. I have spares

Ahhhh, yep, you did say, thanks Steve

Miko (literally watching paint dry)

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I did say it'd be bright!

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-27.jpg

I have to talk to missus miko now, so tomorrow the contrasing colour will go on this hi viz Hurri!

Miko (rushing because missus Miko is. ..&(,, 4£^%@.. . . .. . me! )
Okay, NOW you've got me mystified. And dazzled.

And yes, I believe that is indeed the Watts prop.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Quick work miko , its a lovely looking kit , ive got two of them in the stash . The yellow has got me intrigued too

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice build Miko. I think I have the same one on the way but it’s not the gift set. I’ll be watching closely on your build looks pretty easy

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Nice build Miko. I think I have the same one on the way but it’s not the gift set. I’ll be watching closely on your build looks pretty easy

Yep, pretty straightforward, but as Steve mentioned earlier some parts are a little tight and need test fitting then maybe a swipe with a file, the wing halves being a case in point, the wing tips need some attention to get them to close together properly, but, on the whole it's a well engineered kit, perhaps too engineered creating detail that will never be seen, the fine and perfectly formed rudder pedals for example. not sure why Airfix do this, but I pleased that they do

Miko (minutes away from finishing this one)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I'm so tempted to call this one done, in 'what if' world it would be a remotely operated drone, the only reason I'm saying this is I still need to paint the framing of the 'greenhouse' like canopy!

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-33.jpg

Apart from the canopy framing there's still some detail painting and the oh so easily knocked off underwing pitot head!

Miko (the full explanation of why it's so 'bee' like will be made clear, and nope, not a target tug)