Airfix 1/72 Hurricane mk1

B

Bari

many thanks to all who gave encouragement on the Spitfire build. I thought I would be a bit more adventurous on this one and have tried to do a bit of cockpit detail. The kit seems to be of an older molding than the Spitfire as all the panel lines are raised and the cockpit and decals seem more basic. However I have tried to make the seat look a bit more like a seat, even tried some straps out of masking tape. Had to make a joystick but the top is a bit big. I tried some hot stretched sprue wound around a former but it sprung out a bit. Have put a few struts on both sides of the fuselage and some bits and bobs. had to make an instrument panel out of a bit of card painted black and scratched a few circles on it with a pin. Of course with the sides assembled the cockpit is a bit of black hole and not a lot can be seen. With the glazing in place its even worse and the canopy is too thick to have open so am trying to find a bit of clear plastic I can heat up and mold a new one. Anyway here are a couple of pics.

View attachment 27503

View attachment 27504

View attachment 27505

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Last edited:
K

kellysands

Hello Bari,

I've found that when heating plastic that bending it beyond where you want it to stay is a good policy. Trial end error often produces the right result. Don't try and do it first time, make more than one of everything then choose the best. Gentle, even heat does wonders. If you have a DIY heat gun, the kind used for stripping paint, these are great to use as the heat is constant and you are able to wave the gun over the area to be heated in order to regulate the application. Hairdyers are OK but often have to be a bit close to get the same level of heat output.

B

Bari

Here with a couple more piccies. The top wing halves left a bit of a gap but filled in ok with a bit of milliput. I have tried to do a representation of the u/c bays with some thin card and sprue but due to big fingers and defective vision it looks a bit clumsy. Also some how the starboard tailplane has decided to droop a bit so will just play with this one and try some weathering etc.

View attachment 27763

View attachment 27764

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
ooo one of my fave aircraft Bari. Gonna watch this build :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

Bari, one of the most satisfying aspects of modelling is making any model that bit better than building it straight from the box. I think you are right, this looks lige quite an old moulding but you are still making the most of it and the cockpit is coming along very nicely. Good job with the filler as well, never very easy on a 1/72nd fighter.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I believe this kit is of a sixties vintage. Looks like you're making a nice job of it.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bari

Finally finished. I am not very happy with the way its turned out. I had great trouble painting the canopy which took many attempts and is still a bit of a botch. Does anyone use masking fluid I thought that might help next time? Not too sure about the wheel wells either. The subtle wear and weathering is so subtle you can't really see it and the aerial has gone a bit slack so I'll have to do that again. I managed to make a pitot tube and the little step just behind the wing root so have managed to up the skill level a tiny amount.

I've now got the Airfix 109E to have a go at this non GB that's running. The shop told me its a new mould but I'm not sure as the rivets seem to be rather prominent. Should I rub them down a bit?

View attachment 27978

View attachment 27979

View attachment 27980

View attachment 27981

View attachment 27982

View attachment 27983

View attachment 27984

View attachment 27985

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg