Airfix 1:72 Jet provost (+ one)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Here's a little something I've been working quietly in the background. It's the new tool Airfix kit and what a nice little kit it is. Well, actually, I had two to build.
1.JPG

One was always going to be the typical red and white version which I saw so many times flying over Welsh beaches, whilst I was a whole lot younger on my holidays. The other was going to be the Red Pelican version, however, I quite liked the
hi-viz look, so changed my mind.

JP1,
29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

Then the Hi-Viz JP2,
22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

And finally, my small collection of training aircraft. The fan driven one is a very old Matchbox kit.

33.JPG

I know a lot of these new tool JP's have been built, if you haven't built one, but fancy doing so - do it. It's a great little kit, cheap with nice detail.

Colin M..

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great looking pair Colin:thumb2::thumb2:, looks like 1/48 on the photo's :surprised:.
Oh and love the colorful schemes.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Stunning builds Colin, and congratulations on a fantastic paint job on both of them. The red, grey and white training scheme is more fiddly than it looks to mask and paint. They sit well with your prop-Provost.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for the comments everyone.
looks like 1/48 on the photo's
That's probably down to the quite high level of surface detail in these little 1:72 Airfix kits. They really are that good.
The red, grey and white training scheme is more fiddly than it looks
So true, what you see here is version 3, or should that be 'attempt to get it right number 3'
They sit well with your prop-Provost
What the pictures don't show is how high the prop' provost stands compared to the jets. Fair enough, it's got a big prop on the front.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful builds colin , loving the red white grey one. The red pelicans had the same scheme as this on the later provost T5 , the old airfix strikemaster used to include this as a decal option if youre thinking of doing one but youll have to trawl e bay to find one. cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
strikemaster used to include this as a decal option if youre thinking of doing one
Thanks Tony but no. There will be no camouflage in this collection, just brightly coloured training aircraft.
Ah, well, got that wrong didn't I.
untitled.png

Well ok just a tiny bit of camo.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The red pelicans used the jet provost t5 later in their career , which is the same as the strikemaster. The scheme for the t5 was the grey white and red same as your t3 but with red pelican logos on the nose

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The red pelicans used the jet provost t5 later in their career , which is the same as the strikemaster. The scheme for the t5 was the grey white and red same as your t3 but with red pelican logos on the nose
I think the T5 JP lacked the tip tanks carried by the Strikemaster, but essentially the same basic airframe. Some JP T5 had the tip tanks retro fitted for navigation training purposes.

First Name
Dave
Nice builds Colin. The old Percival Provost looks good as well.The Shuttleworth collection have a T1 in flying condition.

B

BigZimmo

Two crackers from your worbench, Colin............absolutely well done, mate!!!!:smiling::thumb2:

:cool:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The Matchbox Provost is a rare beast, I've seen it for sale at around the £20 mark!
Dave
It was a few months back I was watching prices slowly rise. I think I paid just under £15.00, not a bargain at all, but I guessed prices were only going to keep increasing. So I had to get one, and I have a bit of a soft spot for old Matchbox kits.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
great build Colin, a very realistic finish on such a small scale. Well done.