Airfix 1/72 P-51D Mustang

D

Doug Hughes

I completed this several weeks ago, but have been waiting for the rare combination of free time and a bright day to take some photos. It's an OOB build of the new tool Airfix Mustang, the only deviation being that the red around the nose is painted, rather than using the decal provided - it was easier to match to the rest of the red areas this way, I didn't fancy my chances of getting the decal on without tears! The kit goes together very well, with lots of good detail in the cockpit, and I'd recommend it highly.

This was my first natural metal finish since teenage years when a coat of Humbrol silver was good enough. I used the Vallejo Metal Color range (White Aluminium, Alumium, Duraluminium, and Steel), together with their gloss black primer and gloss varnish from the same range. I was concerned that a very glossy P-51 might look a bit out of place amongst my other, very matt, WW2 aircraft, and I also wanted to show some kind of difference between the areas of the wing which were varnished (on the real thing), and those which were left natural metal. In the end I used the gloss varnish for the varnished areas, and W&N Galleria Satin Varnish on the NMF areas.

Thanks to Tony and Steve on this forum, who provided some very useful information on the areas of Mustang wings which were varnished or left natural metal.

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That looks tops Doug, lovely quality build and paintwork.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nicely done Doug, great build. I really like your attention to the various shades of natural metal and the detail for the finish on the wings.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great looking mustang Doug and a massive improvement on the old tool kits.

J

just dave

That looks very nice. I have a 1:72 Mustang in my collection and I hope it comes out like yours!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Absolutely top class work doug! The paint job is faultless , in the pics it looks easily 1/32 scale or larger , the sign of a quality 1/72 build , a stunning model , cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This is very very nice indeed Doug. The metal finish looks really authentic ( I must get the metal finish set myself sometime)

The scale of detail looks bigger than what it actually is which is down to your skills

A truly stunning example of a Mustang

Well done

Regards

Robert