Airfix 1/72 Sea King

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jakko and Jim

I guess the fact that I spend my days filling, shaping, sanding, masking & painting is a help, but the hard part is miniaturising those skills. I'm enjoying the challenge though, even if my brain keeps giving me ideas that my hands and eyesight can't yet handle! Hopefully once I get a decent grasp of the basics I'll be able to start adding my own touches with either aftermarket or scratch built parts, and trying out some of the awesome paint effects I see many of you guys using.

I'm a long way off that but I'm having fun practising :smiling:

D

Deleted member 7181

Looking very good Andy. I think you might have the knack for this spraying business !
Ha ha, I should hope so, they've been daft enough to pay me to do it for the last 25 years :smiling2:

But I know what you mean, I'm finding it a whole different ball game with an airbrush. I'm plodding along with a 0.2mm nozzle at the minute. The cheapo kit I bought came with a 0.3 & 0.5 but for some reason neither of those want to work (no paint comes out at all!) so I keep putting the 0.2 back in. The bigger nozzles look deformed like they've been damaged so it might take me a while if I start doing larger models lol.

I'll treat myself to something better once I really start to get the hang of it, but since I've recently bought one of these to add to my arsenal at work I need to build up my tool funds a bit first!

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just saw this one Andy and looking very good so far.

Like others said seems you’ve got your fair share of airbrushing under your belt, neat paintjob.:thumb2:

If I may give a tip for masking the windows, a while ago I found out it’s easier to mask the windows individually part for part before gluing them on, just make sure to wipe away any fingerprints on the insides before fitting.:tongue-out3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I usually prefer to mask the whole thing and then cut out the individual windows, so I can remove the tape from the frame. I tried masking each cockpit window separately on one model, but had a hard time getting the pieces the right shape and in the right place.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I must admit to using Eduard masks. I find the time and stress saving far outweighs the cost. Tried Montez masks but wasn’t quite so keen on them....

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ha ha, I should hope so, they've been daft enough to pay me to do it for the last 25 years :smiling2:

But I know what you mean, I'm finding it a whole different ball game with an airbrush. I'm plodding along with a 0.2mm nozzle at the minute. The cheapo kit I bought came with a 0.3 & 0.5 but for some reason neither of those want to work (no paint comes out at all!) so I keep putting the 0.2 back in. The bigger nozzles look deformed like they've been damaged so it might take me a while if I start doing larger models lol.

I'll treat myself to something better once I really start to get the hang of it, but since I've recently bought one of these to add to my arsenal at work I need to build up my tool funds a bit first!
That looks nice, but I don't think our tiny AB's are quite up to that spec. Just out of interest, is there a preferred needle size for spraying a car ?

D

Deleted member 7181

Added most of the decals today. Definitely not my favourite thing and in the future I think I'll pay my son to do them for me :tongue-out2:

XKD4LBi.jpg

UPxrsDG.jpg

As I mentioned earlier I'll be painting the area around the engine exhausts rather than using the supplied black decals, but that'll be after another coat of clear to seal in the other decals. I also painted the red & white stripes on the tail rotor tips as there was no way I was going to manage 12 tiny decals!

My bro popped over today and pointed out that it's missing some directional UHF aerials on the front so I might end up making some of those, but other than that there isn't much left to do. Should be finished by Monday if I can drag myself away from the snooker!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Andy,
Blimey that a cracking finish on the paint, you ought to be pleased that! You’ve made a splendid job of this....hope you can drag yourself away from the snooker long enough to get it finished:smiling4:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Si.
It was my first time using the Vallejo gloss varnish in anger and I was pretty impressed. I have some Mr Color GX100 on the way to try too. No doubt I'll be building a scale car in the near future so need to work on my finishes lol.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Be careful with anything cellulose andy, as you know its quite strong and although a cellulose primer will really grab the plastic it can be too corrosive and cause a wrinkled effect in the surface which will show up in subsequent paint coats . The main primer i use is Halfords grey acrylic , its a bit of a bugger to use as its an aerosol so overspray in the air is a major factor , best done outside or in a dedicated s##t hole ( ie my shed!) Ive never had any problems with lifting , it gets a real grip and dries to a hard smooth surface that doesnt obliterate detail . Its even a perfect match for US neutral grey so ive used it as a finished colour on US aircraft undersides before. Ive got some stynlrez ( now called ultimate modelling products or UMP) black but i havent tried it yet , but by all accounts it needs a good few days to harden or it can come off when sanded. Cheers tony

Remember that the solvent that is in aerosols is mainly a spray head cleaner that cleans the nozzle as you spray,this is the solvent that does the damage if spraying too close to the model,aim for a dust coating by holding the rattle can about a foot from the model,it will still etch a little but gives a good surface still to work on,beware of very evasive aerosols being sold off on EBay etc that contain the older cellulose content which really will soften plastic.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Thanks Si.
It was my first time using the Vallejo gloss varnish in anger and I was pretty impressed. I have some Mr Color GX100 on the way to try too. No doubt I'll be building a scale car in the near future so need to work on my finishes lol.

I’ve recently got hold of and have been using this.
CEDF297F-6B8D-4561-824C-B6C18FD3A298.jpeg

think its similar to what you have coming . I quite like it, used it on this.
I might be wrong but I think I heard than it can be sanded back?