Airfix 1/72 Sea King

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

From my build thread here, this is now finished. The Sea King offers a particular interest for me since my little brother (MACR Rich Taylor) operated from them for many years, including this exact one, as a winchman / paramedic. I'm hoping to create a diorama for it in the future, depicting an actual rescue based on real life events, but the model itself is complete.

Plenty of things I'm not fully happy about but I need to remind myself that this is only the second model I've built, so rookie flaws are to be expected.

I'm still trying to get to grips with photographing them too, but hopefully the pictures aren't too bad.

Thanks for looking!

IDKnOS0.jpg

Q6nDbzr.jpg

vbp0aY5.jpg

WzQ2Hys.jpg

IAfcKxp.jpg

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Andy,
I think you have produced a very nice model and if you hadn’t of said, I’d say you’d been making models for years!!

I wouldn’t worry about your photography either. Pictures look nice and clear, well lit and we can’t see the kitchen table in the background:smiling5:
Well done mate:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks very much chaps, I really appreciate your comments.

Hopefully this is just the start of something, and I can't believe I've been missing out all these years. I envy you guys that have been enjoying this for such a long time!

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That is a superb result if this is your second model then competitions are not far away, I'm impatiently awaiting the finish you get on the A10.
regards Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps, I'm blushing here :smiling4:

Jim, that A10 is fighting me already! So much filling and sanding that I've lost many of the panel lines. On the plus side I'm learning how to rescribe recessed panel lines from raised ones :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking very good there :smiling3: You really wouldn’t say this is only your second model — plenty of people who’ve been building models for decades don’t produce ones looking as nicely as this one.

One thing I’ve been wondering about since I saw the instruction sheet photos you posted, is why one rotor blade is yellow?

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
...One thing I’ve been wondering about since I saw the instruction sheet photos you posted, is why one rotor blade is yellow?

I've read that apparently one blade didn't fold and needed to be positioned over the tail-boom when the rotors were folded, this one rotor would be painted yellow...
Cheers, Steven

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That would certainly make sense.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jakko & Paul.

As for the rotor, I figured there was a technical reason and have read the theory about it being the non-folding one, but having asked the question it seems it's a simple visibility / conspicuity thing. SAR are normally operating at low level and the single yellow rotor makes them much easier to spot from above by other aircraft.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb build andy ! The paint job is flawless ( as you'd expect! ) it looks excellent . The photography is fantastic too , its all about getting as much light as possible on a subject and getting the right background , youve done that brilliantly. Top work mate , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul & Tony.

It's funny what you can cobble together with an old roll of wallpaper and some drawing pins. Almost looks like a proper backdrop :smiling2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks Paul & Tony.

It's funny what you can cobble together with an old roll of wallpaper and some drawing pins. Almost looks like a proper backdrop :smiling2:
Thats exactly it andy , most of the time my backdrop is either wallpaper ( reverse side obviously!) or a roll of white lining paper all propped up , taped , blu tacked etc with battery powered led lights out of sight all over , it looks a right dogs breakfast out of the shot!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As for the rotor, I figured there was a technical reason and have read the theory about it being the non-folding one, but having asked the question it seems it's a simple visibility / conspicuity thing.
That also makes sense, especially given that the whole blade is painted.