Airfix 1/72 Sea King

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thats exactly it andy , most of the time my backdrop is either wallpaper ( reverse side obviously!) or a roll of white lining paper all propped up , taped , blu tacked etc with battery powered led lights out of sight all over , it looks a right dogs breakfast out of the shot!!
I was tempted to take a shot further back to show my Heath Robinson set up but it would have spoiled the illusion, and I figured (rightly it seems) that I wasn't alone in bodging together a temporary set up. A combined photo box / drying box might be an idea for the future but I don't want to get too carried away just yet.

And thanks Chris, but I'm sure it's just beginners luck lol. With so many outstanding examples to drool over on here it's easy to get inspiration.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great finish Andy...neat, tidy and crisp. Yellow isn't an easy colour to paint so hats off to you getting it spot on for your second build. Anticipating the ones to follow.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Richard, I've seen some of your work so that means a lot, as do all the comments here!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy. I echo the others a superb execution. If that is your second model just think what your subjects are going to look like in a year. Well done.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great job Andy, according to this lot you passed muster! A very neat and tidy build. Congratulations!
Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks again everyone.

I'm already pondering what to build next. A Hind is on my list, I'd like to find a Chipmunk trainer as I've actually flown one of those (very briefly as an Air Cadet), and of course some kind of car. I'd really like to try my hand at a tank or other armoured vehicle too but the thought of those fiddly tracks scare the life out of me! :smiling5: Maybe once I've had a bit more practice.

D

Deleted member 6559

Very, very nice Andy. And the tracks on a bit of armour should be nothing after tackling all of that yellow - still scares the life out of me..

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great result Andy, neat finish and the pics are clear too.:thumb2::thumb2:
Looking forward to see how your A-10 ends up and what more you have in store for us.:smiling:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Jakko & Paul.

As for the rotor, I figured there was a technical reason and have read the theory about it being the non-folding one, but having asked the question it seems it's a simple visibility / conspicuity thing. SAR are normally operating at low level and the single yellow rotor makes them much easier to spot from above by other aircraft.

Only four of the five main rotor blades folded, the fifth was positioned over the tail when folded; this why you see the plumbing for the automatic blade fold only on four of the rotors. The blades are colour coded with coloured tape around the blade root and the corresponding cuff on the rotor head. One of these is yellow, however this does not necessarily match the yellow painted blade which is that colour for increased conspicuity.

Nice model by the way.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Rick, Andy has left the forum but thanks for the info...very valuable especially if you build 1/48 and upwards.
He's got some creative work unfortunately won't see any new ones now.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Superb, if you are putting it in a rescue scene, hovering, dont forget to undroop (??) the blades lol :smiling5: :smiling5: