Airfix 1/72 Spitfire 1a Finished

F

Fenlander

That looks very nice to me Bari, very nice indeed, Well done mate, a cracking return to modelling.

1275GT

Hi Bari, ditto the above, that's a great return build. Hope my Wildcat turns out as good.

Cheers, Neil

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's allright isn't it! You must be well pleased with that effort,a very nice return indeed. I bet you're hooked now,so we''l be seeing plenty more.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Bari,

That's a cracking start for your return to modelling.

I'm not criticising the build, but I do have a query - maybe for our Steve - about the markings.

Shouldn't the letters be 'reversed' for the markings along the fuselage? Shouldn't the port one read K - DW while the starboard one reads DW - K? I thought they did this to keep the markings symmetrical.

Gern

B

Bari

I think it varies with the squadron as I have seen photos of both variants of marking. However just had a quick search and all the photo's seem to be taken of the port side of the aircraft, but I found one of this particular aircraft.

View attachment 27525

bobacspit.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Shouldn't the letters be 'reversed' for the markings along the fuselage? Shouldn't the port one read K - DW while the starboard one reads DW - K? I thought they did this to keep the markings symmetrical.

Gern
They were supposed to be as Bari has applied them and don't you just love those early large letters. Some units did interpret the orders differently and apply them symmetrically. 610 Squadron did not. There are pictures of both sides of their aircraft from June/July 1940 when they were at Hawkinge that show them to be applied as on Bari's model.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

I have seen them done the way I suggested. As I now understand it, the markings could be either way round depending on the unit the aircraft belonged to and how they interpreted the regulations. Is that right?

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's right Gern.The intention was for them to be applied as on those 610Sqn. aircraft and mostly this is how it was done. It seems to have become fairly standardised a little later with the reduction in the size of the code letters,maybe reminders were sent out,and you see fewer anomalies,at least on European Fighter Command aircraft. If you really want some fun have a look at some Fleet Air Arm markings!

As always,if historical exactitude is an issue for you (and it isn't for everyone),references or a forum are your best bets.

By the way I think it was a perfectly valid point you raised and it's good both to clear it up and that Bari's nice little Spitfire is correctly marked.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice little spit there Bari. Welcome back to the hobby/obsession!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice build Bari, a great start to your renewed modelling career.

Welcome back!

Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The first in 40 years - what a great start ! As Ian M says - welcome to the obsession, beware, your grass will start to grow long, the car won't get washed and your bins will be full. But you will be happily sticking things together !

Regards

Colin M..........

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely job to get you back into it. Next you want a 109 to go with it, then a Hurricane, then a 190 then you'll start looking for something a bit more demanding like a bomber, probably German 'cos everyone does Lancasters, then..........and before you know it you're hooked. Just like the rest of us in the nuthouse! :nurse:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Did anyone else notice that the fin flash on DW*O (R6595) in the picture above is reversed "a la francais" with the blue stripe towards the front of the fin?

That's an interesting detail for anyone doing that aircraft!

Cheers

Steve