Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Vc completed pics - and a cautionary tale!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all , here is my airfix spitfire Vc and a bit of a heads up if anyone has or is going to get this kit. I got this cheap off e-bay combined with the airfix Boomerang so i thought i would do it in Aussie markings too. On first appearances the kit looks 'interesting' , there are 2 lots of wings for starters!!. what becomes apparent is that Airfix have made a Vc by taking a bit of a short cut. The kit is actually the old 1970's Vb with another sprue containing the C type wing and various other bits like the tropical air filter and cannons, and a new canopy. All very commendable you say, BUT ... the new wing features very deep recessed detail (the fuselage has fine raised detail) and is about 3 mm too thick!!!It really is hugely thick and doesnt look anything like the thin finely proportioned wing of a spit . The decals are excellent with 2 options for RAAF or south african air force and include all the stencils found on a spitfire (all readable under magnification too!!) Now the C type wing is basically the same as the B apart from the cannon blisters and a couple of lumps underneath being in different places so i thought i'd use the old 1970s mould B wing and make it into a C type . The blisters were removed , filled and new ones made and fitted then the assembly was straightforward (apart from having to saw off the nose to fit the tropical filter - as per the kit instructions). The camo was done as the earth brown /foliage green scheme contrary to the kit instructions which give all over foliage green , its impossible to say which is right but after lots of research and looking at pics i decided on this one. In summary , it can be made into a reasonable spitfire Vc but it takes a bit of bashing ,so if youre thinking about it-be warned! heres the pics , comments /criticisms welcome (unless youre a spitfire expert ,then just bite your tongue!!!) cheers tony

View attachment 55274

View attachment 55275

View attachment 55276

View attachment 55277

View attachment 55278

View attachment 55279

View attachment 55280

View attachment 55281

View attachment 55282

View attachment 55283

View attachment 55284

P1100550 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100551 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100552 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110366 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110367 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110368 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110369 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110370 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110372 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110373 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110375 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dont you just love Airfix when they do that. lol

You made a tidy job of it and it does look good in the Aussy war-paint.

Nice one Tony

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Yes very nice luv the markings! That thick wing looked like it would belong more on a Tiffy,nice catch and fix!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Yes very nice luv the markings! That thick wing looked like it would belong more on a Tiffy,nice catch and fix!
Absolutely trey, i reckon it might have looked a bit thick even on a typhoon!!!I might take a picture of it later against a ruler , just for a laugh, cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice Tony it makes a change to see a 'spit' in different markings.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

No difficulties then Tony!!!

What ever they were the model has turned out very well indeed.

Wonder why this mark had fat wings. Was it heavier armament ?

Laurie

First Name
Dave
Nice build Tony.Good to see a spitfire in different camo and markings.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good Tony,nothing like a bit of remedial work to keep you on your toes. The Aussie markings look great too and make a nice change.

Many small scale kits (and some larger) struggle to replicate the fineness of the lines of some of these aircraft but that fat wing is ridiculous. Even the one you have bashed appears quite heavy,though the white leading edge doesn't help in that respect.

Laurie,the thickness of the Spitfire wing didn't change (until the 21). Various bulges were added to accomodate different weapons, wheel sizes and undercarriage angles.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks guys , it is nice to see one in the aussie paint isnt it , and laurie , the wing wasnt supposed to be thick ,its just the retooling by airfix that was completely overdone , thankfully this was a good few years back and theyve really got their act together these days! cheers everyone , tony

T

tecdes

Thanks Steve & Tony. Did not read your write up carefully enough Tony.

Just wonder about these manufacturers at times. It is a real shame & does not enhance their reputation.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good lord, I've just seen a naked lady. Anyway, good result Tony.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I don't know how i missed this one Tony. Great work it looks fab in the aussie colours 5 stars from me

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice one Tony.

5 stars mate.

Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great work Tony, it came out looking wonderful. And like the others, I too enjoyed seeing a Spitfire in the Aussie scheme.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Well Tony, you've made a cracking job mate. And as usual, so much detail in such a small scale. Love it mate, big 5*.

Have fun, John