Airfix 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk. Vc - My first completed build

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have recently just completed the Airfix 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk. Vc and was hoping that you lovely people could give it a once over and give me any feedback.

To put this into context, I joined this forum in January. Before then I completed a couple of Airfix starter kits during the first lockdown using just the 3 or 4 paints and glue supplied. Prior to that I did make models back in the 1970s as a child but these were very basic and knocked up in a matter of hours so we could play with them.

Since joining the forum I have started a couple of blogs but always struggled to complete anything as I’ve been trying to use new techniques which I’ve read about but never used. Anything other than using Humbrol glue and a few Humbrol of paints was new to me.

Modelling has always interested me but time was never on my side to take up the hobby and I’ve been really impressed with builds I’ve seen on this site.

So with this model, I did the following:

• Gave the sprues a good soak in warm soapy water and dried them
  • Build up the cockpit and pilot first, painting 100% with Vallejo model colour paints.
  • I assembled the aircraft using a combination of Tamiya, Tamiya extra thin and Micro Crystal clear
  • Assembly was pretty straightforward although I couldn’t get the wings 100% correct.
  • Also I didn’t fully read the instructions and I build the plane (made a cut) which prevented me from having the cockpit open (there is a closed and open option). This was a shame after adding the detail to the cockpit but a lesson for the future.
  • I covered up the cockpit with some damp tissue and primed the aircraft using Tamiya grey primer from a rattle can.
  • I then hand painted the plane using Vallejo model colour paints. I thinned these with tap water and the plaint flowed very smoothly. I did 2-3 coats of each colour. I tried to match the Humbrol to Vallejo paints but wasn’t as successful as I’d have liked to be but having authentic colours at this point in the hobby wasn’t a priority.
  • I did try masking but unfortunately the masking started to remove small parts of paint down to the primer so I stopped this. I did leave the paint to dry overnight before masking. Maybe that wasn’t long enough.
  • Once painted, I applied 2 fine coats of gloss varnish from a rattle can – Rust-oleum – Clear Gloss Finish
  • I then added the decals using Vallejo decal fix and softener. Adding the decals was very time consuming. I wish I’d practised more and not gone straight into the large ones on the top of the wings.
  • I then applied 2 more fine coats of the same gloss varnish
  • I then applied a panel wash using Vallejo Blacks wash, placed it into the panel lines and once dried there, did a general wash on the plane. I’m not really sure what I achieved here as it was all alien to me.

I didn’t find that the wash flowed at all like I’ve seen in some blogs. I did look at Vallejo videos though as these washes seem to be applied more generally over the panel lines and cleaned up with water and airbrush thinner.

• I decided not to proceed with any further weathering and seal the model with a matt coat of Rust-oleum – Clear Matt Finish.
  • I also opted out of adding an antenna line. I wasn’t brave enough.
  • I also added the cockpit canopy. I had previously painted this but didn’t use masking.
20220425_080730.jpg20220425_080751.jpg20220425_080801.jpg20220425_080818.jpg20220425_080909.jpg20220425_080926.jpg
Anyway, that’s the story of what I did. The pictures are below.

I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to my next build and getting betters.

Any comments on my build would be appreciated. I can take it so be honest. What could I have done better, differently and what kind of weathering would be good for a model of this scale.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
I can only repeat what Ian said - well done. You should be more than pleased with what you have achieved. A matt coat of varnish would be worth doing in my opinion.
The main thing is you've had fun, ain't that what a hobby should be :tongue-out3:
Jim

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mike,
looking good!, I would echo Jim, a coat of good matt varnish will knock back that shine.
What have you got lined up next?
Dave
The next build will be a cheap 1/35 Tamiya T62A kit I purchased. This will be good for practise.

As for a Matt coat, I did actually apply one using this so was surprised when the model didn't go very matt.

Not having an airbrush I was struggling to find rattle can varnishes and my previous experience of hand brushing Vallejo clear coat was a disaster.

If anyone has an recommendations for a Matt rattle can clear which actually is Matt, that would be appreciated20220425_104848.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I have recently just completed the Airfix 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk. Vc and was hoping that you lovely people could give it a once over and give me any feedback.

To put this into context, I joined this forum in January. Before then I completed a couple of Airfix starter kits during the first lockdown using just the 3 or 4 paints and glue supplied. Prior to that I did make models back in the 1970s as a child but these were very basic and knocked up in a matter of hours so we could play with them.

Since joining the forum I have started a couple of blogs but always struggled to complete anything as I’ve been trying to use new techniques which I’ve read about but never used. Anything other than using Humbrol glue and a few Humbrol of paints was new to me.

Modelling has always interested me but time was never on my side to take up the hobby and I’ve been really impressed with builds I’ve seen on this site.

So with this model, I did the following:

• Gave the sprues a good soak in warm soapy water and dried them
  • Build up the cockpit and pilot first, painting 100% with Vallejo model colour paints.
  • I assembled the aircraft using a combination of Tamiya, Tamiya extra thin and Micro Crystal clear
  • Assembly was pretty straightforward although I couldn’t get the wings 100% correct.
  • Also I didn’t fully read the instructions and I build the plane (made a cut) which prevented me from having the cockpit open (there is a closed and open option). This was a shame after adding the detail to the cockpit but a lesson for the future.
  • I covered up the cockpit with some damp tissue and primed the aircraft using Tamiya grey primer from a rattle can.
  • I then hand painted the plane using Vallejo model colour paints. I thinned these with tap water and the plaint flowed very smoothly. I did 2-3 coats of each colour. I tried to match the Humbrol to Vallejo paints but wasn’t as successful as I’d have liked to be but having authentic colours at this point in the hobby wasn’t a priority.
  • I did try masking but unfortunately the masking started to remove small parts of paint down to the primer so I stopped this. I did leave the paint to dry overnight before masking. Maybe that wasn’t long enough.
  • Once painted, I applied 2 fine coats of gloss varnish from a rattle can – Rust-oleum – Clear Gloss Finish
  • I then added the decals using Vallejo decal fix and softener. Adding the decals was very time consuming. I wish I’d practised more and not gone straight into the large ones on the top of the wings.
  • I then applied 2 more fine coats of the same gloss varnish
  • I then applied a panel wash using Vallejo Blacks wash, placed it into the panel lines and once dried there, did a general wash on the plane. I’m not really sure what I achieved here as it was all alien to me.

I didn’t find that the wash flowed at all like I’ve seen in some blogs. I did look at Vallejo videos though as these washes seem to be applied more generally over the panel lines and cleaned up with water and airbrush thinner.

• I decided not to proceed with any further weathering and seal the model with a matt coat of Rust-oleum – Clear Matt Finish.
  • I also opted out of adding an antenna line. I wasn’t brave enough.
  • I also added the cockpit canopy. I had previously painted this but didn’t use masking.
View attachment 451740View attachment 451741View attachment 451742View attachment 451743View attachment 451744View attachment 451745
Anyway, that’s the story of what I did. The pictures are below.

I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to my next build and getting betters.

Any comments on my build would be appreciated. I can take it so be honest. What could I have done better, differently and what kind of weathering would be good for a model of this scale.
HI Mike very well done in my opinion but this is not critisuim of your model its just an obsevation but i think your exhaurts should be a bronze colour as to me they look silver but if im wrong then i apolagise greatly chrisb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Mike

That's turned out beautifully considering your experience. A really good finish

Trying to match paint colours can be tricky. Most companies do sets if you're looking to get better colour matches, although they often contain colours you won't use. So just look up the contents and buy the colours you need individually, it may be cheaper if you need just a few colours.

The Humbrol spray can matt dries very matt but you need to be careful to do very light coats at a reasonable distance...too close and/or too heavy you get a horrid silvering effect... Don't ask how I know.....

All the best.

Andrew

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one.
The main thing Mike, is you have, and always will learn stuff from every build you do to carry over to your next project.

Take note of all good advise, but also Stuart's wise words.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
First proper attempt and I'd say impressive.
Can only mirror what others have said.

The exhausts are a rust colour type finish and the underside isn't such a deep blue more of a pale sky blue colour but these are only observations ....taking absolutely nothing away from the build...give yourself a pat on the back!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Mike. Everyone’s first kit should be a spitfire :thumb2:
The varnish issue is a bit strange…..did you shake it for long enough? If you want a brush on matt varnish, try Daler Rowney artists matt varnish. Like all varnishes though, stir it very well….

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Looks good Mike. Everyone’s first kit should be a spitfire :thumb2:
The varnish issue is a bit strange…..did you shake it for long enough? If you want a brush on matt varnish, try Daler Rowney artists matt varnish. Like all varnishes though, stir it very well….
I did. I shook it for ages and ages.

I've even done another coat since my initial post.

I might actually try a brush on Matt varnish.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great mike , youre definitely on the right track . As said maybe a brush on matt varnish is worth a try . I wouldnt get too hung up on the panel line weathering , a lot of people seem to think it's mandatory but it can often be overdone and spoil a perfectly good model . Cheers tony

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I echo what the other guys have said. That is a cracking result especially for a first attempt trying out the various techniques.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks good from here Mike, Just keep in mind that the whole theme of this forum is to have fun........seems to me you are really enjoying yourself and it only gets better from here. :thumb2: Rick H.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Mike, clearly your brush painting skills are up there with the very best of them. As many have said, a matt finish would look better. Maybe your can had settled ? If you find your self out for a drive soon, chuck the can in the boot and let it roll around. It will soon be mixed. Looking at the surface texture, I'm wondering if you sprayed the model from too far away, but would this affect the matt to gloss finish, I don't know.
But anyway, that's still a great looking Spitfire. Good work.