Airfix 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk. Vc - My first completed build

First Name
Hong
Great outcome! I really like the camo paint work.
Try painting the tyres flat black, as it would gives a more beliveble look. :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think that looks excellent Mike. It’s not completely matt, but to be honest, I prefer a semi matt finish on aircraft myself anyway. I think a completely matt aircraft looks dead to the eye and doesn’t show off it’s lines so well. Nice one. How’s the T62 doing……

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I think that looks excellent Mike. It’s not completely matt, but to be honest, I prefer a semi matt finish on aircraft myself anyway. I think a completely matt aircraft looks dead to the eye and doesn’t show off it’s lines so well. Nice one. How’s the T62 doing……
The T62 is on hold for now. I've been practising on 1/72 aircraft for now, getting reading for my first GB with the Mossie, which starts in July. I will get back to the T62 though.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That's a very neat, well painted model. Excellent job, you've done well there considering your lengthy hiatus. I read through your step by step and that's pretty much the logical approach to model making I'd say.

Here are some tips:-

Take your time. For me, half hour sessions per day are perfect. Too much time in the zone in one sitting can be confounding.
If you make a mistake, don't panic, most modelling and painting issues can be rectified.
If you use Tamiya paints then a retarding agent is essential. Vallejo paints are indeed very smooth, good choice there.
After you have built the model, before any painting use Tamiya extra thin cement to smooth over any imperfections. It's a magical product.
I personally don't weather my models, I don't really think it's particularly important but each to their own.
Use a small block of wood and blu tac individual parts for painting onto it for multi angle access.
Decals can be a nightmare. I usually try and keep it to a minimum. Decal fix will leave a residual stain on your paint work, which will have to either be varnished over or re painted.

For your next project, would you consider a figure?

Kind regards,

Gavin.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That's a very neat, well painted model. Excellent job, you've done well there considering your lengthy hiatus. I read through your step by step and that's pretty much the logical approach to model making I'd say.

Here are some tips:-

Take your time. For me, half hour sessions per day are perfect. Too much time in the zone in one sitting can be confounding.
If you make a mistake, don't panic, most modelling and painting issues can be rectified.
If you use Tamiya paints then a retarding agent is essential. Vallejo paints are indeed very smooth, good choice there.
After you have built the model, before any painting use Tamiya extra thin cement to smooth over any imperfections. It's a magical product.
I personally don't weather my models, I don't really think it's particularly important but each to their own.
Use a small block of wood and blu tac individual parts for painting onto it for multi angle access.
Decals can be a nightmare. I usually try and keep it to a minimum. Decal fix will leave a residual stain on your paint work, which will have to either be varnished over or re painted.

For your next project, would you consider a figure?

Kind regards,

Gavin.
Thanks for the input.

I am considering figures for the future, hence my question to you yesterday on your German figures. I used to paint the small Airfix figures back in the early 1980s but the paint work was very basic compared to yours. Basically flesh on the face, grey on the uniform and black on the boots. Monotone, messy and boring basically

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Thanks for the input.

I am considering figures for the future, hence my question to you yesterday on your German figures. I used to paint the small Airfix figures back in the early 1980s but the paint work was very basic compared to yours. Basically flesh on the face, grey on the uniform and black on the boots. Monotone, messy and boring basically
Yeah I agree. Avoid the Airfix figures, they aren't very good in my opinion, poor moulding detail. There are numerous options for figures; Tamiya 1/16 scale figures are excellent (I have done 3 of those which are in the completed builds section if you want to look them up), Zvezda make lovely small 1/72 scale kits. I prefer German figures because they make a more striking subject to paint (smart detailed uniforms). With figures the construction and assembly is fairly minimal, the bulk of the project is detailed painting. Ask me anything regarding figure painting advice, will help as best I can. G

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mike,
Crumbs! You say this is your first completed build. If I had turned out something as good as that, I would have been seriously chuffed!
Congrats!
John