Airfix 1/72nd Bristol Blenheim Mk IV

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Watching with interest Dave, I have the other boxing of this mould. Apparently the cowls are an area to watch as they build up from multiple parts. Also some issues reported about gaps between the glazing and airframe. Nothing you can't handle I'm sure. Look forward to seeing the progress reports.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The glazing cannot be any worse than the old airfix Blenheim I built as a kid.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Made a start today, but odd in that you do not start with the cockpit, but with the fuselage and wings. The cockpit then added to the front. So the main parts have been primed with Vallejo Surface Primer, and a coat of Humbrol Clear on the Glazing before I start masking.
The intention is to build with turret retracted and wheels down as Airfix only supply a pilot with the kit and not the rest of the crew.
8C38B21A-6BC1-480F-AEC7-04F08EE3B239.jpeg9CE007B9-0D65-4C0A-8042-D8FDD608D52C.jpeg

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Forgot I was out of the green/grey for the interior, so started work on the PE in the cockpit while I wait for a delivery. Resting on my home made glue spreader.

4038BF46-3EDA-4798-89CE-A990F2183063.jpeg

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Started work on masking the canopy, I use bare metal foil over the part, then buff into all the edges with a blunt cocktail stick. Finally cut along the edges with a fine scalpel blade and peel off the frame.
D093B968-FFA1-47EE-8EA4-32B9488F02A8.jpeg9DCE62BD-E47E-4002-B67D-A8DF62A43539.jpeg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As a none wingy person I shall sit at the back and enjoy. Nice method with the foil Dave, is it fixed in any way or does it just stick as you press it down ?

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
As a none wingy person I shall sit at the back and enjoy. Nice method with the foil Dave, is it fixed in any way or does it just stick as you press it down ?
Bare metal foil is the trade name and it comes in various finishes and is self adhesive, it is intended for doing things like Chrome bumpers on cars.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Dave, you learn something new every time on here . :thumb2:

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
as one who battles with masking of canopies i'm sure to give this method a go ..... great idea!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I keep meaning to try that with some of the aluminium foil tape used for insulation boards. Dirt cheap from Screwfix.
Pete

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's a nice kit Dave. I built another new tool version. There was some sort of fit issue with the cockpit, if I remember, it just involved a bit of sanding here and there and all was good, nothing major.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I keep meaning to try that with some of the aluminium foil tape used for insulation boards. Dirt cheap from Screwfix.
Pete
Careful pete that stuff sticks like you know what to a blanket , it does have its uses though , thin strips for chrome oleos and any small shiny metal panels ( see my p38m build in the next few days !) but if you stuck it on a canopy it takes a lot of getting off and usually leaves glue all over it .

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have to say personally I have no trouble with the Bare Metal Foil it comes off with a cocktail stick and no glue left, that may be because I use Humbrol Clear Varnish on the canopy before masking, or I have a duff sheet of foil.
Back on the real modeling after Notrs Dame, cockpit now being closed up, I was pleased with how well it fits together, although you need to watch out for the locating tabs on the clear parts and not remove them.
984C15EE-B983-466E-8377-27040188D1FD.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I have to say personally I have no trouble with the Bare Metal Foil it comes off with a cocktail stick and no glue left, that may be because I use Humbrol Clear Varnish on the canopy before masking, or I have a duff sheet of foil.
Back on the real modeling after Notrs Dame, cockpit now being closed up, I was pleased with how well it fits together, although you need to watch out for the locating tabs on the clear parts and not remove them.
View attachment 368949
The stuff Pete was asking about was the aluminium diy tape Dave , its very sticky . So youre safe - your tape isnt a duff batch ! Ive seen people use the Bare Metal foil and it looks like a great system , slightly better than using tamiya type tape as the bare metal stuff shows the frames clearer and cuts easier . Cheers tony

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ah I missed that, thanks tony. For me doing 1/72nd it is brilliant because it is so thin, as you say, you can pick up the fine detail to make the cuts. I used it on my Defiant as well and the turret came out a treat.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
I'll follow along with this. These newer Airfix kits are often rather good.
I have heard of that Bare Metal Foil being used for canopy masking but never tried it myself. I have found that the same approach with Tamiya Tape works OK but it doesn't always cut cleanly even with a new blade. It tends to drag the tape. I have some of that foil so will have to try it.
Nice start :thumb2:
Jim

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ok, after a long haitus work is back underway, working from home so hoped I would be able to pop to the bench for 5 minutes here and there. Reality is a lot of teleconferences as we try to keep things moving.
But got some more assembly done and started painting engine and undercarriage parts.5D6DDA36-642D-411D-8E31-7CB8F9C4E846.jpeg