Airfix 42nd highlander ‘black watch’

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all , well heres my entry to jim and samsons figure group build . Its one of the excellent Airfix 54mm range ,the tooling dating from i believe 1973, in fact i got this off ebay and looking at the style of packaging , the price ticket (40p!) and the rusty staples i think this must have been issued around that time. Its a great looking tooling , i only hope i can do the detail justice. Its got a couple of optional bits and optional colours for things like his plume. Heres some unopened packet shots and some sprues , cheers tony0BB437BE-6F3B-4FF2-89AE-C6ADE49C2E4E.jpeg0F6CA9EC-ED95-4100-A9C6-170EAE379103.jpeg

D

Deleted member 6559

Wow - rusty staples, that is old. Good to see this again Tony. Looking forward to following along.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Wow - rusty staples, that is old. Good to see this again Tony. Looking forward to following along.
Wow indeed peter ( more on that in a moment !)
Heres the first stages of the build. The legs have to be done first as the kilt wraps around them in two pieces , so these have been glued together and the flesh painted . This addressed the age old question of what a Scotsman wears under his kilt and as can be seen in the photo its as we always guessed , nothing! This chap also has the regimental tattoo , a W on each cheek , when he touches his toes it spells WOW ! 4EA4BB78-C5FA-4BB7-A0FF-B410D7F338D0.jpeg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The old ones are the best ones. That includes the joke as well :smiling5: . Looking forward to seeing this old classic come to life again. Good luck

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tony,
I'm just wondering how the tartan painting is going to be achieved! I have no ideas on the method to do this, so I will be watching with interest! :thumb2:
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Tony,
I'm just wondering how the tartan painting is going to be achieved! I have no ideas on the method to do this, so I will be watching with interest! :thumb2:
Dave
You and me both dave!!:smiling5:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
m-black-watch-modern-strome-tartan-front-72dpi-rgb.jpg

That is black watch tartan.
At any scale other than 1:1 the separate tones becomes indistinct

"The dark blue, black and green plaid that we know today as Black Watch is believed to have been a tartan of Clan Grant originally, hence the alternative name Grant Hunting. Given that half of the six original companies were Campbells though, the origin of the plaid may belong to this Clan. "

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Some fantastic help there guys thanks , the close up of the black watch tartan is especially helpful as the colour pic on the instruction card isnt particularly clear. Heres the latest bit of progress , the legs have been shaded a bit and ive attempted the diagonal red and white on his socks . Theres a bow to be added to the garter on each sock yet. Ive also painted his spats and boots/shoes , the buttons being done with a small dotting pen . Im going to give the legs a coat of acrylic sealer ( Astonish tangerine and cinnamon floor polish) to try and stop any rubbing off with further handling. Ive glued the arms to the torso with the gun loosely positioned so i can get the pose right. The jacket has had a first coat of red and blue and his head has had a base coat tooD10ECA53-C632-433E-A692-FFF4248737C1.jpegF38C62ED-F9EF-4869-ACD2-C2E23BE06390.jpegD92183E0-5320-407E-87A8-29DA51D41CC3.jpeg . Cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The legs have been coated and matt varnished ( except his shiny shoes!) and his kilt has been glued together around them. Next up for this part is the tartan !:anguished: Ive given his coat another coat of red and also painted his hat , the red /white and green check and black feathers . I might give these a slight blue sheen as thats what it looks like on the packet . Any advice from them wot knose about stuff like this is welcome ,( ie what sort of feathers were they , turkey , magpie , capercaillie??!) cheers tony130DA73A-DF72-4432-9DE3-8CEA23D53828.jpegD49560F6-3A7A-44CA-A8B0-EDE9EB0E9435.jpeg

D

Deleted member 6559

Really coming along nicely Tony.

A touch of blue is a good way of highlighting blacks, as they do tend to reflect the sky colour. Perhaps a bit of dry-brushing to catch the highlights?

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hi Tony,

Looking good so far, and looking forward to seeing how this one comes out. I've got one in the stash too, not quite as old as yours but old enough that the plastic has gone yellow! I really must get around to sticking it together.

They're ostrich feathers by the way!

Cheers,

Windy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Tony,

Looking good so far, and looking forward to seeing how this one comes out. I've got one in the stash too, not quite as old as yours but old enough that the plastic has gone yellow! I really must get around to sticking it together.

They're ostrich feathers by the way!

Cheers,

Windy
Aah Ostrich , thanks for that alex , ill google them and have a look at the colour , cheers tony