Airfix Aston Martin DBR9

J

Jezleaman

Hi guys,

I’m new to this and currently working on my first model, the Aston Martin Gulf DBR9.

I’m just at the stage where I need to add the black edging to all of the windows. However, I want to try and keep this as tidy as possible as it will be one of the most noticeable areas. Does anyone have any tips regarding the best way to go about painting the black edging around all the windows and front headlights?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Jez

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Jez

a fine permanent ink marker pen may be the easiest method - there is nothing that says you have to stick to using paint

if you really want to use paint then there are also paint pens or you could mask off with masking tape and spray the black but that is much more time consuming and prone to wonky edges if paint seeps under the tape

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
Are you doing the 1/32 or 1/24 aston?.....neither are grest kits so dont get disheartened as this is new to you.
Pésonally....masking tape and a fine brush with matt black acrylic

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I would agree with Paul, except, I would use enamel paint. Any overpainting can then be removed when dry by using another fine brush moistened with thinner. Only a moist brush though, if you flood thinners into the area it will take off all the paint....if you use acrylics you can do the same with airbrush cleaner instead of thinner, but in my experience it is a ilittle harder to control.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Or use acrylic paint and immediately after painting a bit of edge (so while the paint is still wet), lick your finger and wipe from the window outward.

First Name
Ross
Hi Jez

This is a tip I came across for modern plane canopies but I reckon it will work for a car's windows.

Buy some 1mm or smaller masking tape, being so small you can manipulate it around corners and curves pretty easy, once you have completed the whole outline you can run bigger size masking tape around it to fill in the whole area or use masking fluid to fill, this is the way Eduard suggest to use some of their masking products.

Once you have filled in the area use the airbrush (if you have one), if not just use a brush, don't put too much paint on the brush or you might get some leakage.

Now I don't know if you've thought of this (I know I hadn't and it took me awhile to work out) but some Tamiya kits provide masks and they get you to mask the inside of the windows and paint. I think this is to give a more realistic look to the black edges. I don't know if this is possible with your kit but it's something to think about.

Good luck mate and show us the result when you're finished, I know I would be interested to see the result of whichever way you go.

cheers
Ross

J

Jezleaman

Thanks for all the assistance and tips guys! Greatly appreciated. I will post some photos of the full build as soon as it’s finished :thumb2:

Cheers

Jez