Airfix Cromwell 1/76

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Evening all. I seem to be on a bit of a roll at the moment - this is my third build in a month! Anyway I'm having a bit of fun with this one. I've opened up the loader's hatch, added padding to the inside of the hatches, removed the front mudguards and added an exhaust cowl. I also replaced the headlight guards with wire and made a couple of towing cables. I'm still playing around with various bits of stowage and obviously need to add the wheels and tracks. Not long long till I can put some paint on!

_20191103_215241.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Built this one twice already this year Windy. Liking the extras you have put on. Good luck with the wet stuff

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks guys. Weather foul and dogs very sensibly refusing to go out, so I'll be able to crack on with this. More updates later.

Cheers.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alex
That looks a great build. Very neat and worth while extras.
Jim

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Good grief! It's been nearly two weeks since I started this one. Thanks for all your comments, I've been unreasonably busy so haven't been able to get any bench time but finally managed to make bit of progress at last. The stowage and figures are just placed at the moment.

_20191115_135656.JPG_20191115_140055.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice update Windy. I would be interested in knowing where you got the jerry cans, crates, ammo boxes and ration boxes please?? Many thanks in advance

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks chaps. Steve, to answer your question they're a pretty random mixture! The jerricans and the larger ration box came from the Airfix airborne jeep, the smaller ration box came from the old Matchbox LRDG set I think, and the ammo boxes are from the PSC Loyd Carrier and 6 Pdr. The bedding rolls are miliput wrapped in tissue paper and tied with cotton. Not sure about the bike, might be Airfix, it's been sitting in my spares box for about forty years!

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Windy, I've also got onr on the go at the moment, although I've decided to do mine OOB for the time being.

ATB

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not sure about the bike, might be Airfix, it's been sitting in my spares box for about forty years!
Is it soft plastic? Then it’s probably from the Airfix RAF personnel set, that included at least one IIRC.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Is it soft plastic? Then it’s probably from the Airfix RAF personnel set, that included at least one IIRC.

No. It's hard plastic. I think it might've been from the ruined house command post. That had all sorts of stuff - boxes, sheets of wriggly tin, oil drums etc. Pretty sure it had bikes in too.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Alex,
Great work and in the small scale, I commend you.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks very good, keep it coming Windy .

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Windy

Nicely done! If mine turns out half that good I'll be pleased.

Did you use Mike Starmer's SCC15 mix of Vallejo 888 & 924 at 1:1? I ask because I can see both bottles in the background.!

All the best.

Andrew

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks Andrew! The base coat was Mike's SCC15 mix for Humbrol enamels (150,159 and 33 at 5:5:2), then I gave it a wash of very dark brown followed by a fairly heavy dry-brushing with the Vallejo mix. The Humbrol mix is really quite dark so this gave it a faded look and brought out the detail. Here it is before weathering:

_20191116_222348.JPG