Airfix F86F Sabre 1/72 scale

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all , heres my entry for the Korean War GB . Its the Airfix F86F Sabre in 1/72 scale. This is a lovely looking kit , representative of the new tooled airfix offerings. Its fairly well detailed , with nicely recessed panel lines and a great decal choice (obviously I'll be doing 'The Huff') The only criticism ive seen in reviews is the main wheels have very soft detailing on one side of the hubs and looking at mine this is true , but bearing in mind the timescale and my other ongoing builds I'll just use them rather than wait for any aftermarket to be delivered (theyre not that bad anyway ,just a little vague ) heres an image of the box top taken from the internet as I bought this complete but without a box , and a few pics of the first bits of progress - the cockpit decals and seat . cheers Tony

F86F1.jpg

DSCN1541 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1542 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1544 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P

Polux

Looks really interesting Tony, specially the silver version with those markings :smiling3:

Thanks for join in ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice choice Tony. I have the F-86 and MiG-15 combo, like you say they are nicely moulded kits.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Little bit more progress today .The fuselage and wings are together ready for tidying up and the seat just needs some belts making before it goes in. Ive included a picture of the wheel hubs to show the problem with them, the raised hub side is just very indistinct in its detail , painting the tyre is going to be a bugger. cheers tony

DSCN1557 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1558 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1559 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1560 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Nice choice. A candidate for a nmf ?
Yes Colin , im doing the one on the box art ,using the new Vallejo metal colors . cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Yes Colin , im doing the one on the box art ,using the new Vallejo metal colors . cheers tony
Ah now then, have you got any Alclad Tony ? It would be great to see a side by side comparison.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If that side of the wheel has the brakes moulded on it you could disguise I with some brake dust and grime weathering. Brakes and landing gear get VERY dirty....ask me how I know!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
I'm keen to see your results with this paint, I have some in mind for my Lightning.

D

dubster72

\ said:
Ah now then, have you got any Alclad Tony ? It would be great to see a side by side comparison.
There's a thread with just that comparison on Britmodeller Colin ;)

As far as I can tell, the Vallejo is winning!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
I have colin but tried it once and cant get on with it , i seem to get better results with other metallic paints. Cheees tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
There's a thread with just that comparison on Britmodeller Colin ;)
As far as I can tell, the Vallejo is winning!
Thanks Patrick, I'll have a look.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Latest progress- the seat has had the belts added from tamiya tape , the HUD has been made from my ubiquitous Holographic confetti , and the canopy is on. Its now ready for primer, gloss black and then silver.heres a few pics , cheers tony

DSCN1617 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1618 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1620 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1621 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1623 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just caught up with this and this is looking superb and even on this scale the detail is fantastic looking ( love the cockpit detail

Well done so far

Robert