Airfix F86F Sabre 1/72 scale

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well paint is on ,although not as smooth as i would have liked . I primed it with grey primer and then gave it a coat of gloss black from a rattle can . The can is an acrylic aerosol and should have been fine , I dont know if I didnt leave the primer long enough or what but it crazed a little when it was dry. Its not really noticeable but its a lesson learnt ! Heres the pics of the black airframe and after the silver went on. I gave the whole model a coat of matt aluminium Vallejo metal color then masked off all the control surfaces and gave it a misting with vallejo liquid silver . this was followed by a couple of coats of clear gloss metal color varnish. Theres just the gun panels to do now then its decal time and the U/C and drop tanks , cheers tony

DSCN1633 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1634 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1643 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1644 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Main decals are on and drying , I found a great article in an old magazine that has excellent colour pics of the actual aircraft and other sabres of the same fighter wing . Next job is all the stencils and wing walk lines etc and theres lots of them!! I have to take off my proverbial hat to Airfix though , the quality of the decals is superb and the placement guide is spot on when compared to the photos. heres the dragon in his glory , cheers tony

DSCN1652 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1653 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1654 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1655 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

1275GT

Nice build, Tony, I'm thinking of trying those paints myself. Are there any issues with them?

Strangely, I've got a minor issue with my decals, in that some seem oversize, at least going by the placement guide.

Cheers, Neil

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
That is looking very sweet Tony and the paint finish looks very good. Airfix really have made a very good decal sheet by the sounds and look of things

Like this a lot

Robert

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
All the tiny stencils are now on with the exception of the pilots name on the canopy rail , this will be put on after the masking comes off. the stencils are very well printed , most of them are readable under a magnifier !! next up is undercarriage and all other bits and bobs , cheers tony

DSCN1656 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1657 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1658 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1659 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well I finished the sabre tonight so here it is . I wasnt too happy with the nat metal finish but that was down to me rather than the paint .I'll be putting all the rest of the pics on a completed GB thread , so heres just a couple to finish off the build thread --

"Enter the Dragon "

DSCN1674 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1676 [Desktop Resolution].JPG