Airfix First kit Tribute.

T

Tigerdh82

The Golden Hind

I have decided to pay tribute to a piece of history.

In the early 50s Airfix released there first proper construction kit for the people.

The Airfix Series 1 Golden Hind.

I have found a more modern incarnation of the kit but it is still the original model.

I hope I do the subject justice.

Has anyone built any of the other series 1 sailing ships it would be good to get some feedback on these models

C

CDW

made the 1/72 jobbie. will post piccies of it if you want. that's if you don't mind me posting on your thread (I don't like to normally)

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Wikipedia says a tractor too, a Ferguson TE20, moulded out of celulose acetate,sold through Woolies, which started life as a promo piece for tractor salesmen. But the first polystyrene kit was the Golden Hind,released in 1955, so says Wiki.

Never built this one, tried the HMS Victory when I was young, and the Santa Maria a bit later, both by Airfix, my interest in ships was never great so they were never completed.

I'll will follow your build as my interests have broadened as I've got older. You never know, might have a go myself, perhaps, maybe, Mmmmmm.

Good luck with your build and post some photos please.

Tony.

T

Tigerdh82

Hi guys.

Yes your right the first kit was a tractor and to my knowledge it was sold in kit form because of the cost Wollies wanted to sell it for.

I have never seen one of these kits but I would like to.

I have been an avid Airfix Fan all my life and though some of there kits you wouldn't want to see ever again for the way some of their subjects were murdered

I have always had a fondness for them , probably because of the way the small kits take me back to my childhood.

my last kit was a series 1 spit mk9 and I loved building it even if the end result was less than accurate.

I did the Victory and the Santa Maria when I was about 10 or 11 I also remember destroying the Great Western then too.

I will post some picks as the build progresses.

Oh and CDW I always like seeing other peoples work. I think its what this site is mainly for.

T

Tigerdh82

Hi all

It's been a while but I am ready for this build now.

Some pics of the kit in its pre build form. will start soon I promise myself LOLView attachment 54650View attachment 54651View attachment 54652View attachment 54653 One of the sails is damaged but I think it's an easy fix, very impressed with the quality of the moulding and I am always impressed by the number of parts in these series 1 kits. They always cater for the young modeller as well as the older one too

View attachment 56853

View attachment 56854

View attachment 56855

View attachment 56856

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I think we all started on airfix kits and I think most of us started with the spitfire MK1 I know I did but the first ship I made was a small HMS Victory not sure if that was a series 1 kit.

funny enough I am half way through a Revell HMS Victory but sadly its an awful kit to make parts do not fit properly, instructions are wrong and most of the masts are warped, ive only just gone back to it after mothballing it for the last month.

I think this could be the worst kit ive ever made to date lol

T

Tigerdh82

Yes I agree the Airfix large Victory was a horror and I had the misfortune to build it earlier this year.

Not sure what the Revell version is like.

M

MrTin

Building Airfix kits that didn't fit is why I started scratchbuilding at the precocious age of 8. I got Cornflake boxes and crayons and made trackside signs for my train set. Never looked back, or built another Airfix kit!

But I love opening kits. I still get a buzz. Is that weird or what?

I used to love opening something like an old Aurora 1/48th scale biplane box and sniffing the insides....Mmmm, model shops!

Martin

T

Tigerdh82

Hi Mr Tin

I never could get into scratchbuilds but my brother built helicopters from plasticard and expanded sprue

I remember a Sioux and Scout and a rather good wessex all from bits and bobs and a tape measure LOL

M

MrTin

Scratchbuilding's easy really, Tiger. You could in fact start with a DH82, a relatively simple aircraft. I'd try one in a larger scale. Easier to do the detail. Plastikard is all you need for most of it, or even carve a solid one.

But most of all, scratchbuilding is dirt cheap!

I could talk you through a built up Plastikard model or a carve-up.

Cheers,

Martiin

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry for butting in on your thread Tigerdh82 but Martin ( Mr Tin ) that would be a good thread for all to see a scratch build. One i would watch as i'm sure many on here would

M

MrTin

I could do Ian, but I really am strapped for time and space and would not be able to build it with you. But I can talk you through a basic bit of scratchbuilding if you like.

You tell me what you'd like to make and I'll try to help you achieve it. It could be a built up fuselage or even something that you could get vac-formed like a canopy.

I have a chum with a vac-former! Sorry for the aircraft assumptions here, but actually it doesn't matter. A shape's a shape.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin

B

Bubba

\ said:
Yes I agree the Airfix large Victory was a horror and I had the misfortune to build it earlier this year.Not sure what the Revell version is like.
Did you really dislike that kit, Tiger? I did it earlier this year, and although it was tricky and fiddly and the rigging shrouds were a complete nightmare I really enjoyed making it. Some pics of the finished build are on my Gallery, but here's one sample:

T

Tigerdh82

Hi Bubba

I really like this kit and you have made it come out very well.

I didnt dislike building mine but it was a horror to get it to fit in the hull stage.

I really like your rear window sections really good job

I didn't rig mine as well as yours (I think I got a little tired)View attachment 56021I did use a for of cloth for the sails and I think they look better than the ones supplied in the kit.

Cheers for the input

View attachment 58141

DSC_0005.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's a nice little model tiger, looks OK from here.

Tony.

T

Tigerdh82

Hi Mossie

I would have replied earlier but I've been in China for a while and now I'm back I want to get started on my next project which is a Revell Mitchell which needs to be restored as its previous owner rather killed it I will start it as a new thread and post pics then but thanks for you kind words about the Golden Hind their much apprieciated and I can't spell today either LOL

I C you live in Darlo thats not that far from me in Newcastle.

PS I fancy a go at the 24th scale Airfix Mossie I think I could have a good bash at that

Have you had a go at it. wondered what its fit is like and so on

Jon

First Name
Noel
This thread has drifted quite a long way from the original Airfix Golden Hind kit issued in the mid 50's. The first iterations of those small ship models were waterline models with a sea bass included in the kit. The Golden Hind, Victory, Shannon and Cutty Sark were originally waterline models that were changed into full hull models at a later date. Cannot remember if any of the others in that range were originally made as waterline models. Mayflower and Great Western I think we're full hu!l models from the outset, but I could be wrong. Not sure if the Revenge was one of this range of not.