Airfix "Little Nelly"?

T

T. van Vuuren

I just got hold of an airfix 1/24 James Bond Little Nelly auto gyro kit for a "rare aircraft build"

I recall someone here building one some time back, anyone got any sugestions, hints with this model?

Thanx

Theuns

M

m1ks

No suggestions here but i'll be interested to follow if you're doing a WIP? I have one in the stash, remember seeing them years ago when they were released thinking I must do that, but couldn't have done it justice then.

If you do a google for wallis autogyro you should likely find stacks of info, the designed was the man who flew 'little nellie' in the movie too.

T

T. van Vuuren

The idea of this build is that the club said we do a "rare or prototipe" model, I recon there were less than a 100 of the full size little nellies!

I could do a WIP , just have to fugure out this model, it is even at 24 scale small and the build doesn't leave any place to hide mistakes as everything id basically an open structure with the pod infront.

I rether like the "james Bond" pilot figure that comes with it, I will have to pick the minds of the figure build lads on this site to make him look "real" LOL!

The only airbrushing to do on this will be the pod and the blades as the rest is actually just a tubular structure that I will brushpaint................yes I know I am being lazy now LOL!!!!

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Here is the basic frame. I cut off the rudder to replace at a slight angle later.

It will not be done as Little nelly, the painting of the fuel tank in the frame will be to much of a nightmare for my limited skill, so I will be doing it as a WA-116.

Theuns

View attachment 35407

planes 001.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good stuff Theuns. Check out Ken Wallis who designed and flew the autogyro you are building. He's ninety something years old now and was recently on TV here as sharp as ever,a remarkable man.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

I have seen and read up on the gent. He is a star!

Does anyone have any pix of the army WA-116 in the green /grey collours? I have done some googling but have come up short.

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've never seen a picture of that. I did find an accident report for Wing Commander Wallis when he evidently had a bit of a mishap. Check the pilot's age....90.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Beagle%20Wallis%20WA-116%20F,%20G-ATTB.pdf

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

I saw a clip of him crashing his gyro some time back.e lost the engine and flared very hard into the ground ....cartwheeling all the way.

Got out and dusted himself off!

Theuns

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I seem to recall building one of those when I was a lad.

Look forwards to seeing this one.

Ian M

T

T. van Vuuren

I have sprayed the airframe dark green as per instructions and it is looking a tad more "real" I will start ading the engine and painting a few other things by hand.

The reason I didn't want to do the James bond gyro was that I was very aprehensive about painting the fueltank that is inside the rest of the framer, a very tight fit and the result I feel would have been poor.

Having said that , I now find I have to build and add allot of other very fine detail that was hidden by the fuselarge pod like rudder cables, instrument pannel back with wiring ect.

It was not the easy build that I was expecting! LOL

Theuns

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi theuns, im sure youll make a great job of it, keep the pics coming, cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

It is done and I have just re-confirmed why I should avoid Airfix kits (for me atleast!)

It was not realy a difficult build, but there was ALLOT of cleaning up to do on the mouldings and the tailboom was so fragile it broke twice. Some warped parts just to add to the fun.

Maybe I am just being overly sensitive............... I have become spoilt with the modern TamiGawa shake and bake kits LOL!

If you go with the military version, you will have to add some detail items as the kit is a bit "light" on detail.I added the ignition wires,throttle cables, rudder cables, new rudder paddals and brake cables aswell as the lap-straps and buckles.

Pix to follow.

Theuns

Pix to follow.