Airfix OO/HO Class 9F 2-10-0 Steam Locomotive No. 92250. 'Abandoned, but not forgotten'.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Glad you like the tender behind, chaps!
As I rit earlier, I've first coated the thing, but then I reckoned I should start the loco proper, just in case I ended up with two distinctly different rust effects, should I completed the tender first.
I hope that makes sense?

So here are the two halves of the boiler, main frame and wheels, cab bit, footplate ready to be glued together, with the tender in shot. All with a first coat of rust brushed on. I was happier now all the main components were roughly the same shade of rust.

P1270863.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Hi Ron,
Another awesome build, looking forward to this one, spent many a happy hour at Barry Island, driving past the scrap yard was always a bitter/sweet moment. Many a heritage steam railway had a loco from Barry.
Will keep tuned in.
Cheers
Alun
PS had a large model railway in my garage until 3 years ago, all steam based, sold it as my military modelling interests expanded.

First Name
Kevin
Hi Ron it looks great with the first coat of rust on everything. Now you can build up all the different stages of rust and oxidisation.:thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Alun and Kevin.

It's nice to read my thread has brought back some memories..... :thumb2:

First coat all brushed on and the two elements temporarily coupled up.

P1270866.JPG

P1270867.JPG

P1270865.JPG

Cheers, and thanks for having a blimp.
Ron

First Name
Kevin
Hi Ron she looks awesome on the rails. Will you be adding more levels of rust to the locomotive.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570, what do you mean " it would drive you bonkers " in your opening .You are well and truly bonkers already.
Seat taken in the stalls to watch this russification.

Cuthbert Hamilton Ellis.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for the late reply, but we've been away for a few days in the camper. This is the first time we have been wandering since lockdown, so we had a complete and utter 'Doss'. Just sitting in our chairs watching the tide come in and out of our favourite Welsh Estuary - The Mawddach. We camped so close to the water that on one occasion in the middle of the night, I thought I might have to get out of the pit and shove my finger in the dyke!

Anyway, thanks for the most excellent and funny posts, chaps.

Another Ralph, best forgotten, gem....:tongue-out3:

Kevin. Plenty more rust yet to come.

453 - Ah, yes, 'Chip' (Send me to Switzerland in 1940) Ellis. Interesting chap!

A bit more progress.
Never happened before with a chuffer train, but I managed to get some of this bit wrong. I must have had the instructions upside down.... :upside: Not to worry, it'll all come out in the wash.....Snip, snip. Wink, wink!
P1270872.JPG

P1270873.JPG

Boiler loosely fitted. The front door will be open, so I started off by blanking the hole off with a bit of plastic card.
P1270868.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron Didgo Ancabitt.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
A bit more progress.
Never happened before with a chuffer train, but I managed to get some of this bit wrong. I must have had the instructions upside down.... :upside: Not to worry, it'll all come out in the wash.....Snip, snip. Wink, wink!
View attachment 398768

View attachment 398769

Boiler loosely fitted. The front door will be open, so I started off by blanking the hole off with a bit of plastic card.
View attachment 398770

Cheers all.
Ron Didgo Ancabitt.

Not like you to get bits wrong Ron! Is that due to too much Boddies or not enough? You need the correct dosage or next thing you know, you'll be putting your paint on upside down!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Not like you to get bits wrong Ron!

You know me Dave.
Honest Ron. Only a couple of members would have spotted the balls up, but ya just gotta be a man about it, and own up - And take the ensuing flak!

All good fun.

Your Servant.

Ben De Craank

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Admitting ones mistakes is very cathartic :thinking: As Dave hinted you should not model when sober :tongue-out3:
Engine is looking good.
I seem to remember that there is a famous rail bridge over the estuary - it's years since I've been so can't remember what it is famous for :rolling:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

Jim - As it's railway related, I might just get away with posting the following.
Here's a few shots of the Barmouth Viaduct. It is the longest wooden one in Wales and claimed to be the longest still being used in Britain. It's history makes for good reading. 'They' are spending 20 odd million on a major re-furb., starting this autumn and going on for three years. The huge wooden timbers are on site right now. We walked passed them a few days ago.
The pictures....

From Barmouth Beach. The metal mid-section used to turn, to allow shipping to travel upstream. (right to left)
P1250448 (2).JPG

Part of Barmouth from mid way along the viaduct. See how close the trains pass to the walk/cycle way.
P1240994.JPG

Looking away from Barmouth towards Cader Idris.
P1240996.JPG

The viaduct is part funded, in a way, by public subscription. See the little building at the start of the crossing? This is the Troll House. Anyone crossing the viaduct should pay £1 into an Honesty Box (A Troll's mouth) in the wall. Don't pay, and you will never reach the other side, so sneak past at your peril......
P1240997.JPG

A diesel chuff chuff
P1250034 (2).JPG
There you go, Jim. I hope the above goes some way to answering your question.

Right, back to more mundane things - 92250.

The boiler fixed to the footplate and a second, slightly darker shade of rust, has been roughly brushed on.

When the paint dried, I've hacked off the awful one piece handrail moulding. I filed it something like smooth, but left a hit and miss finish. This has left a nice darker line which will add to the rust tones.
P1270877.JPG

P1270878.JPG

Just to give an idea as to what lies inside the beast, I drilled out the front boiler hole thingies. No attempt at an exact representation. It just adds to the overall feel of neglect.
P1270879.JPG

Here's the front door.
P1270876.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Attachments

• P1240994.JPG
    P1240994.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1250448 (2).JPG
    P1250448 (2).JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 0

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

As always a top effort!!

ATB

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Thanks for the bridge info. Very interesting. I have walked across it but can't remember the honesty toll box.
Engine is looking better and better. I love the way you work ......
No attempt at an exact representation. It just adds to the overall feel of neglect.
That's not to say that I don't admire those who do a load of research and scratch build great detail. The modelling hobby is big enough for all. Even those who get fantastic results by using Minions or Zulu slave workers :tongue-out3:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim, thanks for your comments and I'm glad you found the viaduct info. interesting.
Thanks also to Ralph and Andrew for your input too... :thumb2:

As I wrote earlier, after I'd started the rusting of the completed tender, I was concerned that not painting both the tender and loco at the same time, would result in a shade difference between the two. My concern was justified.
Here is the loco fitted with it's cab and wind deflectors and coupled up to the tender. The shade difference, although slight, is plain to see. It could have been so easy to avoid - Lesson learned.

I replaced most of the poor moulded in pipework with some lengths of stripped out domestic electrical cable copper wire.

Finally, decals added, and after another brushed on all over coat, 92250 was ready for some serious rusting....and to try and remove the loco and tender shade difference.
P1270881.JPG

P1270882.JPG

I also started to mess with the various con-rods to get them to look summat like. Anything would be better than my initial 'Ba*** up! I wasn't done with them yet, oh, no!

Cheers.
Ron

First Name
Tony
Going back to Ron's earlier posting of the Barmouth Viaduct, a walk was made up the Mawddach estuary by Julia Bradbury. There is some outstanding scenery and she finishes up crossing the viaduct into Barmouth.

Now on youtube, (they have got the title wrong and crossed it with a Scottish walk).

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for posting the clip,Tony. Quite uncanny! If you look at the video and pause it at 4.09 minutes, and look centre, you can actually see a white camper van parked by some trees, right where we stayed last week. What a coincidence. The bridge to Barmouth is in the background.
We regularly go camping there, and biking along the Mawddach Trail. A beautiful part of the world, but don't tell anyone... ;)

Back to 92250.
Now the build is more or less complete, it's all down to the rusting.

The front bit and cab thus far.
At this stage I noticed the wind deflectors were way too thick.... :upside:
P1270885.JPG

As the cab interior won't be seen, and apart from a bit of detail, this is more or less all I did to it.
P1270892.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited: