Airfix OO/HO Class 9F 2-10-0 Steam Locomotive No. 92250. 'Abandoned, but not forgotten'.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well that is only 10minutes from me. We walk the canal towpath at Chirk a lot but never knew Dapol was there.
Jim

Jim. You will know where the big Morton Garden Centre is, well, there is a small Industrial Park opposite the entrance. Dapol is in there. Quite small, so small you might miss it!

When things get back to normal. we will have to meet up in the 'Poachers'.... :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Update....

I've made some rudimentary buffer stops - More cocktail stick remnants. I doubt the scrap yard would bother with anything 'Posh'. If anything at all! (At least they fixed the thing level!) I might yet alter it.

P1270924.JPG

P1270918.JPG

P1270917.JPG

I have started to add some junk to 'Busy it up a bit' and also added some clumps of grass - Bl**dy drones!
P1270913.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don't think there's any 'almost' about this being the end of the line Ralph. The buffer Ron made gave me a clue! :smiling:

I know you said adding your Pug to this would detract from the main loco Ron, but aren't these scrapyards usually full to the brim with old locos and rolling stock? Seems a waste of your extra bit of track if there's nothing on it. Even a scrap bogie or a wagon chassis would look good if you don't want to draw the eye away from the main loco.

You know I'm only askin' 'cos I'd like to see what you could come up with!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I see your point Dave and thanks for the input.

Yes, indeed they are usually full of old locos, but I'm trying to convey a feeling of a kind of mechanical desolation of a once proud workhorse, cast away in a corner and left to rot.
Being in a siding, perhaps it's the last one waiting to be broken up.....

I also think that anything else added to the empty track might hide the wheels / conrods detail of 92250.

As you mention to Ralph in reply to his most appalling attempt at a 'funny' (Again), there probably isn't an "Almost end of the line". Not yet anyway. So who knows what might happen. I certainly don't... :upside:

I shall bear your wise writings in mind, and might even have a dry run with your most excellent of suggestion and see wot's wot.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking really nice Ron. The only addition I would make to the empty track could be a rusty steel mineral wagon on the right hand side with scrap in it to show what happens next!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Ron, if you need any inspiration there's a Facebook group called "Old Barry in pictures" which has quite a few pictures of Woodham's scrapyard. Here's a few to be going on with.
woodham1983.jpgwoodhams 1974.jpgWoodhams.jpg
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting, different engines of the same class, Collett 2-8-0, with different degrees of deterioration. All those different rust shades..... They were the principal heavy freight engine on the Western region and were built in the early 1940’s. They were supposed to be displaced by the 9Fs, but ended up being scrapped alongside them.

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
All those different rust shades.....
The middle pic is from '73, there wasn't a date for the lowest pic. The first one is from '83, by which time they'd sold a lot of the locos and were starting to clear the site.
Pete

Reactions: JR
First Name
Carl
Great chat. Thanks boys.

As I've never rusted a loco before, it was yet another leap into the unknown.....so I decided to 'Get my eye in' on the tender.

After applying the decals (which, despite the yellowing backing paper) were still in excellent condition. Mind you, because I wasn't modelling 'Evening Star' I dispensed with the very thin, posh, red line decals which run along the length of the tender sides of that loco.

Here is the tender. Apart from cutting out the coal on the top, I also cut out the cab coal access chute thingy. You can just make out the bits of coal resting on it in the first photo. I then brushed on the first coat of Vallejo Air 'Rust', and laid it off.
vertically.

View attachment 398308

View attachment 398309

Here's the above mentioned coal thingy cut out. Yes, I forgot about it 'till after I'd painted the rust on... :upside:
View attachment 398310

Cheers.
Ron
Love the rust effect, is that several rust colours to get that effect.?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570.impressive build, like the road way across the tracks, and the layout of the general kit scattered around.:thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much for all your most excellent posts, and thanks to Pete for taking the time to post the pictures.

Tim - Not that I'm particularly bothered, but isn't the middle picture a Collett 2-6-0 ? I'll give the wagon some thought, but I am still leaning towards the single loco. Somehow it makes for a more 'sad' scene.

Carl - Just one rust colour, but I altered the shades by mixing with less or more tap water.

Thanks again boys.

Ron

First Name
Carl
Carl - Just one rust colour, but I altered the shades by mixing with less or more tap water.

Thanks again boys.

Ron
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Ron, I’ve put some of this valejo on order as this could come
In handy for future models.
Loving your work so far.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Carl.
Probably too late now, but the Vallejo one I used is Rust 71-080.

Onwards we go.

More bits, made from bits - and a bit of greenery.
P1280085.JPG

P1280087.JPG

P1280088.JPG

P1280091.JPG

I'm starting to fall in the trap of 'Fiddling', so I could well leave it as it is - Maybe, might do, perhaps, more than likely... ;)

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
The yard is looking great. It has that realistic abandoned look.
When things get back to normal. we will have to meet up in the 'Poachers'....
Just passed The Poachers is a narrow road off to the left and there is a little car park leading directly onto the towpath. Next summer when the sun is shining and we have all had our anti Covid jab I'll buy you a pint and a bar meal and we can sit outside and put the world to rights :thumb2:
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ron.
You’re almost certainly right....I sometimes think the real legacy of the GWR in loco design was the notion of cut and paste.....along with the use of a photocopier to make things bigger or smaller.....I much prefer the manly designs of Dugald Drummond or Oliver Bulleid...though at least the GWR got the engine colour right.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

That really is looking absolutely outstanding. Nothing further to say!!!

ATB

Andrew