Airfix Seafire IIIc 1/48

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well got started on the Seafire last night. What a curious kit.

If you dont know this Airfix took the Mk Vc kit that they do and done a new tooling of the wings and other odds and sods such as the four bladed prop and gun covers, etc. These are cast in a quite hard grey plastic. The rest of the kit is the original Mk V in a softer blue plastic. The fit between the two are "OK" but the inclusion of the arresting hook involves cutting out a rather large chunk out of the bottom of the tail section. Lets just say that the marks to cut are a bit off and the result is that the hook thinie sits to low and to narrow. Thanks for the filler !

An other small issue is there are a few sink marks where you least want them. In the side of the fuselage for example! Oh and the cowl/spinner has a step ond not a nice flowing transition. Other than that its not that bad !!!

View attachment 23759

View attachment 23760

View attachment 23761

View attachment 23762

View attachment 23763

14052010506.jpg

14052010502.jpg

14052010504.jpg

14052010503.jpg

14052010501.jpg

F

Fenlander

I have the 1/72 kit of this as part of the members Fleet Air arm set. Same thing, new tool wings with recessed panel lines and older fuselage with raised lines. I think on the 1/72, you have to cut the 'chin' off too for the bigger air intake.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
its a challenge! So far I have used more filler on this than I have on the last four or five kits I have done.

Seams to me that Mr. Airfix didn't do their home work when it came to matching the new tooling to the old! Still I'm getting there.

I would post a picture, but hey, its a plie of tape and filler at the moment!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just packed it out from all the masking tape and what nots.

Not to shabby. My Mobils flat and charging up, up stairs, so photos first tommorow. Oh! I mean later to day. Is that the time!!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A little teaser

I just thought I would post a quick piccy so I would have some thing to do while I wait for the clear to dry and I can move on to the decals.

All paints are WEMs Colourcoat.

The joint by the wing root is a bit naff, thanks to the old tool/new tool thing. OK I might of gotten a better result by glueing the upper parts of the wing to the fuslage, then adding the bottom part, but I didn't think of that!!!

More later...

View attachment 15501

Ian M

View attachment 23796

16052010507.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

Very nice. one would not say you has so much trouble with it looking at the results.

Theuns

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for that Theuns. You would not belive the fun I'm having!

Decals! Got to love em. Now as I recall Airfix Decals have a 'history' of beeing to thick and badly done. The ones that came in the box where, apart from being rather scratched (still lose in the box with bit of paper over them) and a tiny bit crumpeled where exeptionally well printed. 100% in register and even the small stencil markings could actually be read!!

Thin too! To thin it turns out. I conceed I have sent ane-mail to the nice man at Airfix and asked if I could obtain a new sheet.

It seams that there was almost no adhesive at all and the exepionally thin carrier could not handle the unfolding and untangling process like in the old days!!

Credit where its due. Thet are some of the best Decals I have seen from Airfix. Just a shame that they where so fragile. The FAA marks are settling well into the detail and I havent even shown them the microsol yet!

if it was only the stencil marks that had gone boobies upwards I would have just gotten on with it. Unfortunatly, its the serial nr on both sides and the tail fin ID on one side. kind of noticable!

Watch this space.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks like you've had a bit of a fight with this kit, but you've certainly showed it who's boss! Nice looking build.

Again I don't now much about Seafires but this looks like it's gonna be a corker.

Cheers

P

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Paul.

I can only wait to see if Mr. Airfix sends me some decals so I can finish it.

View attachment 15503View attachment 15504

Just managed to knock the ariel wire off (again). This is how it looks at the moment. Once I can get the serial nr and tail markings then I can seal is down and give it a coat of satin to take care of the shine.

I saw on Airfix's web site that there is a Mk XVII Seafire and a Spitfire XII on the way also in 1/48. I could be tempted to give those a try too.

Ian M

View attachment 23798

View attachment 23799

16052010508.jpg

16052010509.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL I have given up on Airfix sending the decals, so I brought another one!!! Yep glutton or punishment. So now I have the three decals I needed, and another spitfire.

So a quick blast with some black-gray to give the "I used my guns and used them lots" look, and we're all done. Hope you like it.

Next problem, what to build next... A mk Vb tropical, a mk.Ia or do I take the airfix and do one of the remaining versions from that. Which would be a Vc.

Ian M

View attachment 24500

View attachment 24501

View attachment 24502

View attachment 24503

View attachment 24504

View attachment 24505

20062010567.jpg

20062010570.jpg

20062010566.jpg

20062010572.jpg

20062010573.jpg

20062010568.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ian,

Another good one! I don't want to appear picky, but you've missed the tyre on the back wheel!

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL! I saw that when I posted the photos Dave. It is now painted.

Dont matter how hard you look, there is nearly always some thing you miss!

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Know what you mean! I usually spot the bits I should have sprayed one colour only when I go to the box for the bits for the next colour - and of course that's always after I've cleaned the A/B!

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job ian, lovely finish. It looks like it was a right battle this one, but id say you won on points! This kind of reminds me of the airfix 1/48 tornado f3 ive got in the 'never to be started' pile, that too has a mixture of raised and recessed panel lines, raised on the bottom half of the fuselage and recessed on the top !!!!! So good to see someone get a fantastic result from a dog of a kit, well done . cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, silk purse out of a sows ear springs to mind, well done on an excellent and challenging job. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well greatly encouraged by all of your kind words, I s'pose I might just build the other one!! (yes I brought another one of them the other day...

Ian M