SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job theuns, loving the leaky merlin! cheers tony

W

wbk666

\ said:
Great job theuns, loving the leaky merlin! cheers tony
yeah thats a really novel touch that i havent seen before.

Good stuff

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I don't think I would fly that aeroplane with that much oil coming out of it. Beautiful Spitfire model, it has finished well. What did you use for the aerial wire?

T

T. van Vuuren

The ariel was made from one of my kid's hair LOL!

The oil leak would not be "normal ops" but rather a failure of some seal resulting in a major leak like that. It would indicate a drop in oil pressure and increace in oil temp , this would lead the pilot to start looking of a landing spot rather quickly!

See the pix of an actual spity.

Theuns

View attachment 47239

spit stains.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

I forgot to add, if an aircraft engine does not leak any oil, it maens there is no more oil in it! Especially on radial engines where the oil would tend to settle in the bottom cilynders if not run for a while. In the Air Force we (ground crew of-corce, pilots would never do such un-glamourous things) had to "walk the props". This was manually turning the props of the C-47's and C-54's through a few cycles to clear any pooled oil out of the engines before they were started up.

The oil might cause a hydrollic lockup if not cleared and break the engines if started up.

Theuns

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Cheers for the info. Hair makes a good aerial wire by the looks of it, might have to 'visit' the missus' hair brush.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Never, in the field of human conflict will i tackle another 1/72 scale Spitfire. Sorry, drifted off there. Very nice build there Theuns, love the oil staining. Top job and five from me matey.

Have fun, John

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job. I've always prefered the early camo green brown scheme to the later green grey. To me, it just looks right.

T

T. van Vuuren

I must say, having built bothe the Airfix 1/72 "new tool" Mk2a and the Mk9, I choose the 9 any day. The fit was better and the pannel detail is finer. Both were fun though.

Theuns