Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Morning!

Just stuck the exhaust stacks in and thought I would share a few photos of 'the last' Spitfire.

This is the Airfix 1/48 scale kit of the last Spitfire in active service in the RAF. Another good one from Airfix. Their new tool kits are a whole new ball game. If they continue like this, they will be great. A few small mould seams to shave off but the fit was very good. The ony parts that could of fitted a bit better was the camera port glasses. I ended up with three totally fudged ones, and made some more from a bit of clear plastic card.

Its painted with Xtracylix PRU Blue and Sea Grey. Spinner is White ensign sky blue. finished with Vallejo Satin varnish. (no with spot this time either LOL).

Here are the photos, I hope they pass muster, and as normal comments welcome.

View attachment 62684 View attachment 62685 View attachment 62686 View attachment 62687 View attachment 62688 View attachment 62689 View attachment 62690

I think it looks rather handsome in this scheme.

Ian M

View attachment 64135

View attachment 64136

View attachment 64137

View attachment 64138

View attachment 64139

View attachment 64140

View attachment 64141

IMAG1020.jpg

IMAG1021.jpg

IMAG1022.jpg

IMAG1023.jpg

IMAG1024.jpg

IMAG1025.jpg

IMAG1026.jpg

First Name
Chris
She's a beauty Ian nice work & with that commendation I shall adding this kit to my ever increasing to build list.

5* from me.

Regards

Chris

D

delmonteman

Very nice finish.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

First Name
Dave
Superb build Ian.Another excellent addition to your Spitfire collection.The BoB flight version of this one stopped overnight last year in my firms hangar at Southend airport....

T

treyzx10r

Wow stunning looking Spit Ian and it does look great in that scheme,very nicely done Sir! 5 star build for sure!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Do you work at ATC Lasham? That hangar looks like the one I did a B757 MLG cylinder change in a couple of years ago.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Beautiful Spit Ian, 5 stars mate.

Tony.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Do you work at ATC Lasham? That hangar looks like the one I did a B757 MLG cylinder change in a couple of years ago.
Yes, I work for ATC.Been there 10 years.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice build Ian. And I've just this very minute finished watching a program about RAF Medmenham, the home of photo intelligence.

selrach

SMF Supporter
Nice neat job, interesting color scheme. Smooth paint. Very attractive plane.

Selrach

C

Caledonia

Very clean crisp build Ian, a well deserved 5 Star. Cheers Derek

S

Stevekir

Does anyone know why the later Spits changed from the Dark Earth and Dark Green camo of the early dayfighters' scheme? Could it be because Spits were fighting at greater altitude where the sky is blue and the ground a hazy grey?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Steve, it was due to a change in operations. Rather than defence over England the RAF went on the offensive with day fighter sweeps and the green/grey scheme replaced the green/dark earth paint to better camouflage the aircraft over the sea. Night bombers generally retained the Dark earth brown/green schemes on upper surfaces though.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Ian, lovely work on that Spitfire mate. I will have to try out some of these new generation Airfix kits.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the comments.

Joe you will be pleasantly surprised. Just make sure it is a NEW TOOL and not just a re pop.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Ian, lovely work on that Spitfire mate. I will have to try out some of these new generation Airfix kits.
Best to research the kit you want on the Internet.Ians is a new tool.The mk1 I built was in a new style box but was an old tool and nothing like as good as this one