Airfix 'Starter Set' 1/72 P51-D Mustang

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've followed the rules for the recent Starter Set G.B. and used the supplied paints, brush and glue. You might have read in my build of this, I had to change one of the pot paints for the correct colour, so I decided not to include this build in the G.B.

The wrong decals were in the set. I emailed Airfix and within a week the correct sheet was in my hands, so a big pat on the back to Airfix customer service.......:thumb2::thumb2:

I've omitted around 30 tiny decals as I can barely see them anyway and just stuck on enough for my liking - Yes, I know what you are probably thinking.
With a bit of added tap water, the pot paints brushed on just fine. The decals were superb. No weathering except for a bit of rubbing of the aluminium paint.

Here is the completed Mustang with a bit of fun at the end.....
P1230380.JPG

P1230381.JPG

P1230383.JPG

P1230382.JPG

P1230391.JPG

P1230390.JPG

P1230384.JPG

P1230385.JPG

P1230386.JPG

P1230387.JPG

P1230388.JPG

P1230389.JPG

Cheers and thanks for looking in.
Ron

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am all for getting the best value from a model and this is a good example of using everything available to build with especially with these starter sets,we never had etched parts,after market decals,canopy masks etc etc back in the day but still made the most of what we had,and with the price of kits these days budget kits,charity shop buys etc make good sense.
After all it is not what we spend on a model the main thing is to enjoy the build,I think Rons signature says it all,more power to these budget builds they look great.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Barry is spot on.
Making do is exactly my creed, and yes it is a harp back to when the extras he mentions didn't exist. The modeller just got on with it and produced the best he could with what fell out of the box. I still do or at least try....
That's why I like these 'Starter' kits. Cheap as chips, but still a challenge to try and squeeze them into summat presentable without spending any more money........ Yet again think Beer Tokens! .... :upside::upside::upside::upside: :thumb2:

Cheers.
Ron

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great looking result Ron:thumb2:, love your scenic pics, the last lot could be at an airfield before a sortie. :smiling4:

The kit parts are fantastic don’t you think so too?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your nice comments boys.

The kit parts are fantastic don’t you think so too?

They certainly are Fernando.
I forgot to mention the actual kit quality. Excellent detailing and all went together very nicely with no fit issues.

Well recommended for beginners and old campaigners alike.

Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 , bang on old boy.
I agree with your thoughts on decals, I rarely use all the ones with a kit, most are far too fiddly and won't be seen with weathering.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
570 , bang on old boy.
I agree with your thoughts on decals, I rarely use all the ones with a kit, most are far too fiddly and won't be seen with weathering.

Typical wood butcher!
Half a job, that'll do - Giz me money, I'm off!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Totally flippin splendid. And historically very important. The red tails story is quite something else.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Totally flippin splendid. And historically very important. The red tails story is quite something else.

Thanks Colin.
Yes indeed, it wasn't until I spotted a reference to the Red tails that I learned it was the coloured Tuskegee Airmen who flew the aircraft.

I've not seen the film but could well buy the D.V.D now I know a bit of the racial and combat history.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Agree with all of the above, great little model out of the box and looks bigger than 1/72