AIRFIX WWI MALE TANK MARK 1 - WWI Memorial GB

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve .
Why oh why are you so clean when you build?
Not a glue spot in sight :angry: where as mine look like I use a 1" brush .
Great work mate,and nice SBS too.
JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

John - Two reasons mate. One there were only a few parts in the kit which helps. Secondly most of it could be glued from the inside out
Brad - Pleasure. Hope it helps someone out there in the ether:smiling2:

Last edited:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Despite the AB troubles the paint work is very nice Steve.:thumb2:
Thanks for the SBS and nice bling on the roof.:cool:

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Steve great job, you know what I'm goind to say about the net, but I think you have left of the grenade deflector suport plate F/R And did the kit come with a shield on the back to protect the hydraulic mechanism if not that missing to.

I'm not a WW1 tank expert.

The two plates above the cab.

post-9885-0-43202100-1325622371.jpg

post-9885-0-82525300-1325622469.jpg

hith-tank-British_Mark_I_male_tank_Somme_25_September_1916-E.jpeg

Hydraulic mechanism shield.

tn-1467308

Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Excellent progress. Shame about the damage from the sprue connections but as Simon said you will sort that easily. Stowage box with its cover looks great. Good idea to use nylon thread. I have had all sorts of hairy problems with ordinary string. A tip to remember.
Jim

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Thanks for you continued support Ian
Cheers Fernando. Luving your new avatar:thumb2:
Terrific research work Pete. When I was looking at camo patterns I came across 7 different grenade deflector designs. There seemed to be a standard factory one and the "Do what ever you want" in the field design, which mine is one of. My favourite was the one posted by Brad at the beginning of the blog. The driver looks very peed off with the deflector on his tank:smiling2: Very much the bodgiest of bodge jobs:smiling5:
Hi Jim. Thanks for the feedback. The stowage box is the last thing to paint now:thumb2:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

Blooming marvellous. How you could see the camo emerging under that creeping fungus beats me. Lovely, lovely work Steve.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic work steve , a superb job on a very old kit. The additions look great and loving the paint job. Also its good to see someone else who practises the ‘ keep going till theres only 3” square of space left on the bench’ method of building like me! , cheers tony

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
For some very strange reason part of my post yesterday seems to have floated off into the ether!!! So here is the rest :smiling2:

Sorry about the airbrush woes. I suppose the solvents in the various paints we use will degrade a fragile tip in the end. Camo looks very nice. This is special because it is personal.
I like Panzer Putty. I used it on my Spitfire. It does sag under its own weight with time although big blobs sag much quicker and thin coverage stays put for a while longer. I don't think you could use it for camo and then leave it for a few days and come back and continue because it will have spread out. I removed mine as soon as the paint was dry.

Anyway Steve this is looking really good.

Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve can I just reply to Tony , thank you.
Fantastic work steve , a superb job on a very old kit. The additions look great and loving the paint job. Also its good to see someone else who practises the ‘ keep going till theres only 3” square of space left on the bench’ method of building like me! , cheers tony
Tony.
I work in much the same way, when I have no more room left, and things are falling on the floor I have a sudden clean up, things look fine , tools all away, brushed and ready for round 2. Management have said if I had an aircraft hanger I would fill every space. :nerd::smiling:

John.
President of the Untidy Bench Club.
Eastern Branch.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Thanks Scottie. I appreciate it mate
Ian - :thumb2::thumb2:
Peter - It was a pleasant surprise when it came out as well as it did
Tony - The problem is I start another build before the first one is finished so it ends up being a year or so until I have a completed bench so I can tidy it:smiling5:
Many thanks John. Very nice:thumb2:
Jim - Thanks for the feedback. It seems then you cant keep anything on for a few hours or more. I think it will be a matter of just redoing the putty each time I do a different colour
JR - My Mrs's says the same!:smiling5:

The rear stowage is done and I have given the whole thing a coat of Matt varnish. This new stuff takes a lot longer to dry so I will leave it until the weekend before I start the oil work

Steve

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Thanks Steve, looking really great what you are doing with this one.:thumb2::thumb2:
Love the personal touch with the markings and the oils are a blast as always, looking forward to see the chipping and scratches.:smiling:

First Name
colin
Nice work Steve I especially like the personal tribute to your uncle and the Durham,'s.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Steve,
Yet another blog I’ve completely missed! Nice work with the painting so far mate:thumb2: