Airport Emergency Vehicle Completed

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
NOTICE TO MANUFACTURERS: This is how kits should be made. All you manufacturers who are churning out kits from moulds that are 25 years+ old and were not brilliant in the first place - you know who you are - go and buy some Zvezda kits and learn how it should be done!

After the excitement of getting my hands all dirty and bits of sundry materials (plaster, foam, dust, paint, glue, plastic, flock etc.) everywhere, I thought I'd have a go at something I could at least keep on my bench.

During my searches for 1/100 scale armour, I came across this from Zvezda:

IMGP3711.JPG

Yes, I know it's a cartoon thing, but having seen how good their other 1/100 snap kits are, I thought £7 was worth a tilt. My plan is to turn this into a generic airport emergency vehicle. No specific type, but there seem to be a lot of this type of vehicle around. Because the fit is likely to be good and detail adequate for my needs, the only things I'm going to have to do is replace the solid windows and build some sort of crew cabin. Nothing accurate, but as an ex-lorry driver, I've got a reasonable idea of what should be there.

So here we go.

Sprue shots:

IMGP3713.JPG
IMGP3714.JPG
IMGP3715.JPG
IMGP3716.JPG

Instructions:

IMGP3717.JPG

First thing I found was the silly face moulded on the front:

IMGP3718.JPG
IMGP3719.JPG

So they have to go. Not a major problem but it will make cutting out the windscreen more difficult as the plastic is thicker to accommodate the recessed eyes.

Then, when the windows are cut out, part of the support frames to which everything is fitted will also have to go.

First cuts:

IMGP3721.JPG

Window openings:
IMGP3720.JPG

Test fit and back and floor of cabin done:

IMGP3722.JPG

I won't say I wiped that silly grin off his face 'cos that's beneath even my low sense of humour. Sanded and filled:

IMGP3723.JPG

I want to add clear plastic for the windows. Fortunately, the plastic is quite thick so I was able to add a very thin piece of plastic strip all round the inside of the window frames. This gives me something to hold the windows. The kit is supplied with stickers for the side windows. Hopefully I'll be able to use these as templates; the windscreen will have to be done using my usual precision - pure blind guesswork and LOTS of cutting and test fitting.

IMGP3724.JPG

That's it for now, except to say I've test fit the majority of the body parts and the fit is absolutely perfect everywhere.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is different..........I like it! Great progress already and it looks like you've got the cabin sorted. Will this be in the bright yellow or the more recent Lime green high visibility airport AOA safety colors? Cheers, Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is different..........I like it! Great progress already and it looks like you've got the cabin sorted. Will this be in the bright yellow or the more recent Lime green high visibility airport AOA safety colors? Cheers, Rick H.

I'm thinking red 'cos yellow is such a pig of a colour to paint. Similar to this:

red-airport-fire-engine-emergency-vehicle-C0KM8M.jpg

There are several roller doors which will be aluminium and the two panels at the top rear will be white.Talking of paints, I have Stynlrez primer in both white and red. Which would be best for a red paint job?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Coooooooooooool......That is one fancy pressure washer!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Praise indeed for the kit. I like your thinking - get rid of the face and paint it red. As for primer I would go with red 'cause knowing my airbrush skills I'd end up with a pink vehicle :rolling:
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

There are several roller doors which will be aluminium and the two panels at the top rear will be white.Talking of paints, I have Stynlrez primer in both white and red. Which would be best for a red paint job?

If it were me, I'd mix them, but I'm weird like that :smiling5:

Looking at their red primer it seems like a medium reddy/brown so might dull down your final colour a bit. White, or even better pink, would be my choice.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If it were me, I'd mix them, but I'm weird like that :smiling5:

Looking at their red primer it seems like a medium reddy/brown so might dull down your final colour a bit. White, or even better pink, would be my choice.

White it is then - unless you know someone who does a pink primer?

D

Deleted member 7181

I think tamiya do one, but the clue was in my first sentence. A few drops of red into the white should do it.

Probably overkill for a model but that's how I'd do it if I had both colours of primer :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Got the cabin done. I was thinking a light grey main colour. Test fit the rear panels and they look really plain. Going to have to liven them up a bit I think.

IMGP3726.JPGIMGP3727.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I think tamiya do one, but the clue was in my first sentence. A few drops of red into the white should do it.

Probably overkill for a model but that's how I'd do it if I had both colours of primer :smiling3:

Think I'll stick to white. Not a fan of mixing colours 'cos I never mix enough first time round, then mix waaayyy too much when I have to repaint 'cos I can't match the original colour :upside: :sleeping2:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
My workbench was a little cluttered today so progress was slower than usual.

IMGP3728.JPG

Nothing glued into place yet apart from the telescopic arm (which is just a square tube which has seams top and bottom, another example of the excellence of this kit - lots of Tamiya extra thin and there's no seam, only glue marks to clean up), There are a few gaps elsewhere which will close up nicely when glued, so ready for paint methinks.

Just a gentle warning. This is a snap fit kit which goes together really well. Be careful when test fitting as such a good fit makes it very difficult to separate the parts for painting.
IMGP3729.JPG

As mentioned, I thought the rear needed something extra. Before anyone says anything - I KNOW! AND I KNOW YOU KNOW! Anyway, the original kit had sprayers at the front near the doors. Illogical as there's no way to get foam to the sprayers through the cab. I've replaced them with two foam sprayers on retractable hoses at the back, and extra storage space and a jack are always useful. SO THERE!

I'll have to move the ladder a little higher.
IMGP3731.JPG

Just loosely held with tape as the fixing pins were removed.
IMGP3732.JPG

I did check the stickers for the side windows. No surprise to find they fit perfectly so I used them to make paint masks. I'll also be able to use them to cut the windows later.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Got some painting done and added a few random decals to brighten up the dull colours (I may add more if I can find something suitable):

IMGP3733.JPG

I also added a control box for the telescopic arm. I like the way Zvezda used the two access hatches at the lower rear body sides - they're actually connector pins to the inner support frames. Nice thinking there!

Just the wheels and tyres to do, then the painting for all the lights . Gonna enjoy that lots - I don't think! I'm going to spray another coat of Klear to protect the decals before I start that so it won't be 'til tomorrow.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Really looking good Dave, hope to see more tomorrow. Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I hadn't forgotten this one folks, it's just that I got carried away with my Transit build. Anyway, you wouldn't credit it, but TWO completed builds in one day! I normally don't get that many in a year.

Having bought this as a cartoon kit, I'd like to think my conversion to something you might see at a real airport has worked. Judge for yourselves:

IMGP3784.JPGIMGP3785.JPGIMGP3786.JPGIMGP3787.JPGIMGP3788.JPGIMGP3789.JPG

You'll notice there's no glass in the windows. I have cut some pieces of clear styrene to fit, but with the present state of my hands, there's no way I'll be able to fit them without leaving glue everywhere. I'll save them and maybe get to fit them one day.

Comments are welcome as always - now off to the stash and see what I fancy next.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'd say you have a great representation of an airport emergency vehicle. There is nothing comical or funny about this build Dave...........you have literally wiped the smile right off its face! :rolling: Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A veritable production line!

Dave, a very nice model, and as Rick posts nothing comical or funny, just another great bit of endeavor to produce summat different.

Well done.. :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top job dave , a great conversion i bet you enjoyed this one , cheers tony