AK 3rd Gen Acrylics.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I see John has got these in the shop already, is anyone else going to take the plunge and try them out?

If they work as described then it might cure my phobia of acrylics lol. At last one that doesn't need shaking to death (we've had them in the automotive industry for years) so less likely to separate, clump, etc. Even the bottle looks like a clever design with a dedicated spot for a drop of paint on the lid.

If it's hype then I've fallen for it, but I'm going to order a selection and see how they go.

Reactions: JR

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
I posted a YouTube video of their brushing capabilities and waiting on the airbrush video to be uploaded, look impressive but pricey at £2.65 for 17ml.

I posted in the Spots on the internet 2020 thread

D

Deleted member 7181

I posted a YouTube video of their brushing capabilities and waiting on the airbrush video to be uploaded, look impressive but pricey at £2.65 for 17ml.

Is that a yes?

Price doesn't seem to bad to me. Compared to the likes of Vallejo, pennies more for a pot of paint that might do several models is something I can live with :smiling3:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark

I agree the price seems ok to me, only 30 pence more than Vallejo.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here's the link to the color conversions for anyone that's interested.

Conversion

When page loads - click on "conversion chart" below the orange banner.

Gives you - Tamiya, Humbrol, Vallejo, Mr Hobby, Testors, RLM, RAL, FS,
Revell, Real Colors and Citadel equivalents.

HTH.

Paul.
:smiling:

First Name
Gary
I've looked for 3 of the common paints I used. Vallejo Sky Type S doesn't have an equivelent indeed many of the others colours don't, yet. I suspect they are building up the range. I'm not swayed by the marketing hype but I will try it at some stage. But as I get on fine with Vallejo Air I dont have a reall incentive to change. But........ this is good news. Competition is good and I like the status quo being challenged

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Unfortunately the price is out of my control, AK have a RRP and I have to work my price out based on delivery to me, I’m happy to supply 2 people with 6 colours to try, as long as they give them a proper test and review them in here, as Andy started this thread he’s the first to try them, Andy send me a PM, anyone else interested PM me

First Name
Gary
Great offer John. I guess anyone about to paint a model with a few colours is probably best to "apply" ? I look forward to the reports :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Hi John, that's a great offer that I really appreciate but I'm happy with the small selection I have for now. I'm probably not the best suited to make a detailed review either, so please give 2 others the chance.

I will post my thoughts on here though when I've had chance to give them a proper go. Initial impression after a quick test is that they brush smoothly, cover well, and dry fast. A quick squirt of some German grey reduced 50/50 with their thinner also went well.

I'm off work for a few days now so should get some more testing done. Will also let my son have a go on one of his miniatures to see how they compare against Citadel & Army Painter base colours.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, that's a great offer that I really appreciate but I'm happy with the small selection I have for now. I'm probably not the best suited to make a detailed review either, so please give 2 others the chance.

I will post my thoughts on here though when I've had chance to give them a proper go. Initial impression after a quick test is that they brush smoothly, cover well, and dry fast. A quick squirt of some German grey reduced 50/50 with their thinner also went well.

I'm off work for a few days now so should get some more testing done. Will also let my son have a go on one of his miniatures to see how they compare against Citadel & Army Painter base colours.
That's a shame Andy, I'd have thought you were possiblity the best when it came to experience of paint .

First Name
Gary
I agree with Andy. Mainly because someone who has experience of most of the paints out there would, perhaps, be in the best position to compare the AK3 with what else they have used. Andy's work is exceptional of course. I'm going to order a couple as Andy has and try them on my 51D Mustang which has some colours I don't have in Vallejo Air so worth a go.

D

Deleted member 7181

That's a shame Andy, I'd have thought you were possiblity the best when it came to experience of paint .
I'll still do a review and let you know what I think John, but this way there might be 3 of us rather than just 2 :smiling3:

And to be honest I think we would get better comparisons coming from someone with much more experience of model paints than me. I can't say if it covers better than Tamiya, adheres better than Model Colour, dries faster than Ammo, or anything like that, as I have never used them. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Gary
I'll order a couple of bottles and do the same Andy. I'm sure they're excellent and I need a couple of colours I don't have

Edit: Just realised I've already said that :confused:

Just ordered three so I now can't wait to try them out. Sigh, it's like Christmas everyday here ;)

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been in contact with John and ordered some bottles. I'll review them in the coming week(s). I'll do both brush and airbrush coverage, and I hope to do some masking tests on one of the never-going-to-be-built pile in my stash. I'll also generally comment on handling, speed of drying etc
Cheers, Dave

First Name
Gary
Reading up on theses it's unclear, to me anyway, if you can airbrush out of the bottle or have to thin. They mention their own thinners, natch, but again I can't see if you can use water or Mr Colour leveller

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
You can download the ' dossier ' on the third generation acrylics HERE
It appears that you have to thin them to airbrush, of course using AK thinner!, but I'll see if water, or IPA work as well ( I actually do have some AK thinner ). The pressure it recommends seems to be 18-20 psi, which seems a little lower than normal , but I'll see how it performs.
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Look forward to these reviews.
Having no issues with vallejo at all, which sprays well neat, but always happy to read up on potentially better paint.
I was looking at a new primer today because the stynylrez ‘spurts’ when I spray it. Not a huge issue since it self levels, but I did notice a gen3 primer in this range that piqued my interest.

First Name
Gary
I had the spurting with Stynylrez so I upped the PSI and it was OK. Then thinned it a bit and it was even better. When mine arrives I'll try with Mr Colour thinner as well Dave. Probably 10-20 % maybe, who knows ? I wish manufacturers would be more open instead of pushing their own "solutions" to things like thinning. But the specs on this stuff appear impressive if they pan out