AK 3rd Gen Acrylics.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'll stick with my Vallejo, Hannants (now i know how to thin them) and Tamiya paints for now. They work for me so no point in buying a whole new range.They look good but the cost of replacing my RLM paints alone is a non-starter for me.

First Name
Gary
I have just used Tamiya paints for the first time in an airbrush thinned with Mr Colour about 60-40 and was very impressed, very impressed indeed by the application and finish. Still love my Vallejo Air though but happy to try the AK3 but if its a lot of faffing about I'll stop. If it mixes OK with MCL or even water then OK for the colours I might need. Early days for me so I haven't got rows and rows of paints like many.

For me its about range of colours and AK3 looks like a comprehensive range to cater for all modelling hobbies. Struggled a bit to find equivelents for some of my VAllejo. I'm sure they are there but the conversion chart looks a work in progress, whether it is or not. Be nice if or when Modelshade.com has AK3 on its website. I might mix and match my paints depending on what I find and Dave tries. But I am a believer in sticking what works unless a persuasive arguement comes across

D

Deleted member 7181

It appears that you have to thin them to airbrush, of course using AK thinner!, but I'll see if water, or IPA work as well ( I actually do have some AK thinner ).
Dave, I had a quick try with various "thinners" earlier to see how they reacted. Mr Levelling Thinner didn't go well, it actually thickened it up, as did IPA! Water and their own thinner was fine, although I'm sure you'll be testing for yourself.

The quick airbrush test I did the other day with German Grey went well, but I cleaned my AB out with water, then IPA, and a subsequent test with some red (diluted with AK thinner) was horrific lol. I'm guessing there was still a little IPA residue left in the brush.

First Name
Gary
I have an almost automatic negative reaction when manufacturers seem to bias their product and eliminate common use other products. It seems odd to market the paint as no toxcity and smell then basically make you use a toxic thinners. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I find that irritating. But if water works then fine. What ratio did you use Andy ?

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Gary. I don't have a 'great range' of paints for the pure reason that i tend to normally make Luftwaffe aircraft and there are only a set amount of RLM paints for them. I'm starting to build up my RAF paints now but again that will be limited too. So rather than switch over to something new i'm going to stick with what i know works (for now).

First Name
Gary
Makes sense Alan. Funny enough I'm about to do the opposite in model choice and have a go at some German WWII aircraft. Colour recomendations please ? PM me if you want

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If you use water to thin paints then try this simple test. Use cold water on one then tepid water on the next. You'll see the difference. I was having problems with my Hannants Xtracrylix range until i tried the tepid water. Works a treat now. Also leaves a lovely finish.

First Name
Gary
Teach me to not concentrate when reading posts :flushed:

50/50 is a hefty thin but if it works then great especially as I prefer doing thin coats. I haven't seen the video yet.

First Name
Gary
Love the computer generated voice

But marketing to one side this does look like a genuine attempt to raise the game in paints.

D

Deleted member 7181

50/50 is a hefty thin but if it works then great especially as I prefer doing thin coats. I haven't seen the video yet.
Not really as it's thick paint, more like a gel than a liquid. Thixotropic though so liquifies as you work it. I'd almost certainly thin it much more for detail airbrushing.

First Name
Gary
Interesting. I bought some Revel Aqua colour to try and that does NOT thin when you stir it. Its so thick I'm scared to even try it in an airbrush no matter how thin. I'm sure there is a way and I've seen videos but they looked a bit hit and miss. But as I said before if it's too much faffing about I'll by something else and good colour though it is the Revel looks like too much hard work.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have a real range of paints, Vallejo, MiG Ammo, AK, Hataka, Revell & Humbrol - all acrylics - I did try Life Color, but couldn't get on with them - Tamiya - I only have their clear paints - that I use by brush!
Some of the brands are very good, some not so good, and some variable - Hataka seem to suffer like this with quality differences between bottles in the same colour ( Night Black springs to mind ).
I have no difficulty in switching brands, I buy paints as I need them, I'm certainly not emptying, and refilling my paintbox so I only use one brand exclusively.
I have had problems with compatibility in the past, but I solved that by using plastic shot glasses, when thinning paint, and a long suffering 1/48 109 which is my guinea pig for anything new!
Dave

First Name
Gary
I like concept of a long suffering 109 Dave. I have a tiny 1/72 Hurricane but its too small really for experimenting. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap1/48 for testing. I don't mind a mix of manufacturers. But I like to be consistent with the make/type for the bulk of my painting. Just for some continuity.

But I do welcome new products like the AK3. They will make the others sit up and notice and dispell any complacency when they have to up their game

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Bf-109 is on old Airfix model, which I lost interest in. It had a vivid harlequin camo pattern at one time, red, yellow and white, but now it's a drab grey/green - with a metallic red wing!
I have a 1/72 Zhengdefu YF-22 which will replace the 109 - it's a truly horrible model - only fit to be used for experimentation! I'll just make the basic airframe & prime it ready for trials
Dave

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Before anyone says anything, I know Harriers were never that blue, but I wanted to try a nice bright colour, I thinned it 50/50 with mission model thinners and the finish is really nice

EFCF28D6-C263-46D7-B044-68BBAF242521.jpegEE7AAD02-AFA4-41B6-A99B-D0679C670317.jpeg

First Name
Gary
Harriers were never that Blue John :nerd::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

But having said that unexpected critique that really is a stunning colour. I guess Dave will try it but a hope water is as effective. The choice would be ideal. Airbrush issues ? Any ?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Airbrushed with no problem, didn’t clog or splutter

First Name
Gary
Looks more than promising then. I've ordered a couple of bottles for my next build so really looking forward to it.