AK Air Series

H

hxman

Hello,

Looking for a few tips on how to make the AK Air Series acrylic paints more reliable in the air brush. I'm using a Harder & Steenbeck and have tried various pressure settings and thinners(except the AK-712 because it's out of stock) such as X-20A. So I was wondering if others have tried these and the results they are getting? They are "suppose" to be ready-mixed of course.... lol

Thanks

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Firstly welcome to the forum Hx. Sorry i can't help you but i'm going to watch this thread as i like the look of the AK paints too

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wecolme Hx,
Copy what Al says .
John .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hello,

Looking for a few tips on how to make the AK Air Series acrylic paints more reliable in the air brush. I'm using a Harder & Steenbeck and have tried various pressure settings and thinners(except the AK-712 because it's out of stock) such as X-20A. So I was wondering if others have tried these and the results they are getting? They are "suppose" to be ready-mixed of course.... lol

Thanks

Hi hx,
That’s not a brand I’ve used but if it’s acrylic I’d personally try diluting with a little Water?
What’s problems are you having with it?

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i certainly wouldnt be using x20-a as a thinner with AK paints.......pretty sure AK is waterbased......tamiya paint isnt.......get some AK thinners then you definatly cant go wrong cos its the right brand for what you are using......id try a ordinary tap water too......works with Vallejo

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I use AK acrylics on quite a regular basis - I generally just add a few drops of water, if I think the mixtures a bit thick. I'm using an Iwata Neo, at 1.7bar. I use regular tap water ( the water here is very soft! ), and I can't say I have had any more problems, than using Vallejo, or Mig..
I used AK on my ICM Hs 126 - all sprayed & masked no problems with the paint330080
Dave

Last edited:
H

hxman

I bought a few to test with and I'm finding them drying on the tip way too fast.... I will try some airbrush medium and report back.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hx .
Good video here .
Might be of some help. Note the use of the Flow improver as well .
John.

H

hxman

Ok, so after some testing it seems to be much improved with the following settings:

25 psi
12 drops paint
2 drops water
2 drops Vallejo flow improver 71.462

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hx,
looking back at my blog of the Hs 126, it was done in the hottest part of last year, and I did use some flow improver - the only comment I made was that I thought that the flow improver reduced the paint adhesion ( important when you're using masks ). High temperatures are not good for airbrushing!
Dave

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I used to use AKI Air Series paints extensively with a H&S airbrush and I would suggest this:
1/ Use a 0.4 needle as the 0.2 tends to block.
2/ No need to thin at all but if you do thin, for filter coats for instance, do so with AKI or Vallejo Airbrush Thinner, not water.
3/ Always apply very thin coats and build up colour. Do not rush.
4/ Wait 24 hours at least for the paint to cure before masking over it.
5/ Use a good primer - The best compatable primer is Badgers Stynylrez.
6/ Always clean the model before priming. I use i.p.a.

The Air Series are excellent and will do a good job if you adapt to them. They are similar to Vallejo Model Air but, in my view, marginally better.

If you have a seperate spray area, with a spray booth venting outside, then perhaps you should try MRP as these are the best airbrush paints that you can get, but AKI/Vallejo are the best 'non-smelly' alternatives good for inside use. Do still use a mask with them though, due to particulates.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Phil Flory has done a good review of them on Youtube (and the Vallejo Metal range too)

T

Topcat

H&S make a V2 needle which has a better tip angle. I have changed mine and spraying with 0.2 needle is much better.