AK Real Color, what paint is it really

First Name
Wouter
Hi Wouter,
Yeah, I’ll add clear to it to get it used up, which is what I do with my Tamiya mixes.
I really want to get away from using the lacquer thinners so was hoping that the AK stuff would thin with water, like advice from AK says!

Dave W says he got it to thin with water...:thinking:
Tamiya's can be thinned with water too but I don't like the way they spray like that. The Lacquer Thinners are so nasty but I love them too much :D

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Tamiya's can be thinned with water too but I don't like the way they spray like that. The Lacquer Thinners are so nasty but I love them too much :D
I thin Tamiya paint with windscreen wiper fluid from Halford’s, bought for something like €1.99 for a litre bottle. Works better than water, even though I’ve never felt Tamiya paints spray badly when thinned with water :smiling3:

First Name
Wouter
I thin Tamiya paint with windscreen wiper fluid from Halford’s, bought for something like €1.99 for a litre bottle. Works better than water, even though I’ve never felt Tamiya paints spray badly when thinned with water :smiling3:
The windscreen wiper fluid is a bit like the Tamiya thinner with the blue bottle if I'm not mistaken? I must say I have tried that and while not bad, Lacquer Thinner or even better - Mr Levelling Thinner work superior for me. Thinning with water or the blue cap thinner gave me problems with drying paint on the needle, not as bad as Vallejo's and all but still. Lacquer Thinner is nasty but boy I can just keep on spraying :D

I heard Mission Models paints are a good non smelly alternative for the Tammi's but haven't tried them yet.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The windscreen wiper fluid is a bit like the Tamiya thinner with the blue bottle if I'm not mistaken?
Yes, it’s blue and smells like Tamiya thinner, except it costs about a tenth what that does :smiling3:

First Name
Wouter
Doesn't work very good for me, bottle standing in the cabinet for ages :D

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I heard Mission Models paints are a good non smelly alternative for the Tammi's but haven't tried them yet.

I've been moving over to MM from Tamiya, virtually no sent and spray wonderfully. Not quite as opaque as Tamiya so need more coats, bit I actually prefer this as it allows better control on covering pre-shading.

First Name
Wouter
Good to know, gonna try to score me some and try them out because that sounds more than interesting.