AK Real colours, my opinion

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Found a AK comparison chart, a few compare to Mr Color but as discussed not many naval paints. Will use some of there stuff such as flat black and white. Interesting info

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Long ago, I heard it’s some spray filler or filling primer or whatever the English name for such stuff is, from 3M.
As supplied in the bottle I would say that Mr Surfacer is basically a wet form of knife stopping. Designed to be trowelled on with a filling knife so filling small imperfections in a primer coat before the top coat is added. If you dilute the 1500 version it makes a great surface primer though.

Edit, don’t bother looking up knife stopping on the net. It was an essential part of surface prep in car repair back in the day. All you get now is articles on stopping knife crime…..how times have changed.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Edit, don’t bother looking up knife stopping on the net. It was an essential part of surface prep in car repair back in the day. All you get now is articles on stopping knife crime…..how times have changed.
Try searching "knifing filler" instead!
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As supplied in the bottle I would say that Mr Surfacer is basically a wet form of knife stopping. Designed to be trowelled on with a filling knife so filling small imperfections in a primer coat before the top coat is added.
That’s pretty much what I meant, yes. The Dutch word is spuitplamuur, literally “spray filler” because, as I understand it, the stuff in the Mr. Surfacer bottles was originally meant to be sprayed from a spraygun to fill surface imperfections.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Had a chance to use these a bit more in anger and I actually would give these the edge over MRP, providing you can get the colours you want.