AK True Metal

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been using this for a while - I found that there was an AK Tutorial on this product....................

Two things I picked up - he seemed to polish very vigorously - I've only done it gently!
I didn't think it was possible to airbrush this! Well, he did! I think I'd have to give it a try with my oldest airbrush before risking anything more expensive!
Well worth a look/trial!
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very interesting Dave, They appear to have a pretty wide range of colours to choose from. I have been using a similar wax based product called Rub'nBuff. It is produced by Amaco but is only available in maybe five or six usable (for our purposes) colours. I have never tried thinning it to spray.....thanks for posting this, I will be looking to get some of the pigments that I currently do not have. Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes thanks for posting that Dave, I'd seen them and never considered using them but think they will be useful.
Would think Tim doing his figures with armour would be interested.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've only used two so far - brass on my ICM 1/24 Model T roadster
DSCF1301.JPG
And Silver on my Heller 1/24 Delage D8
DSCF1410.JPG
I'll be using silver on a larger area on my Bugatti build, although, I'm still not sure about airbrushing it!
Keeping up with Makers' products is pretty near impossible, so I think the forum is a good place to spread news about things that have actually been used by average modellers..............
Dave

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've been using this for a while - I found that there was an AK Tutorial on this product....................

Two things I picked up - he seemed to polish very vigorously - I've only done it gently!
I didn't think it was possible to airbrush this! Well, he did! I think I'd have to give it a try with my oldest airbrush before risking anything more expensive!
Well worth a look/trial!
Dave

Dave - have you used their gold and chrome? If so, how bright was the gold, and how mirrory the chrome? If not, could you buy some and test them so I don't have to?

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bobby and Dave

I have used gold and other AK tru metals. The fact is they will never be as ultra shiney as say Alclads etc, but, you don't need to spray them since they apply like wax. Even on a large area the polishing will remove any brush marks. They can be polished up to a very acceptable finish. Particularly the gold since I find really high gloss gold to look a little artificial on models.

John

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I grabbed two test pieces - one a 1/48 Mustang, the other a Novo 1/72 Gannet fuselage - brush primed with matt black, and applied the True Metal............................
DSCF1518.JPG

One thing I noticed straight away - the primer should be airbrushed - the slightest flaw will show up on polishing
DSCF1519.JPG
The iron polished up well - I wouldn't expect iron to take on a mirror finish, anyway........................

DSCF1521.JPG
The gold also worked well, but, with a smoother primercoat & waiting a bit longer before polishing, it would be much better! These trials were carried out quickly, more care - better results. I'm still wary about airbrushing this stuff - you have to use white spirit to dilute it, and I don't like the stink hanging round!
Dave

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you for doing that Dave, that's very helpful. The gold certainly looks better than the standard enamels & acrylics I've been using. I take the point about artificiality too - while I've been disappointed with most metallics I've used so far, one can go too far!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thank you for doing that Dave, that's very helpful. The gold certainly looks better than the standard enamels & acrylics I've been using. I take the point about artificiality too - while I've been disappointed with most metallics I've used so far, one can go too far!
That's why I always remove any 'chrome' plating on a model, it's far too bright & shiny - you might get away with it on a 1/8 Motorbike, but as the scale gets smaller, it has to be toned down - with this stuff, you can polish it up to the level you need.
On my previous use, I sprayed gloss acrylic varnish over the TM, and it didn't seem to have much effect, although that may not be the case on larger areas..........
Dave

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave,
I've just ordered a tube to experiment with. In your experience, what's the best gloss varnish to seal this stuff with?
I would be hoping to use enamel washes afterwards and want to get the compatibility correct.
Cheers,
John

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
I've just ordered a tube to experiment with. In your experience, what's the best gloss varnish to seal this stuff with?
I would be hoping to use enamel washes afterwards and want to get the compatibility correct.
Cheers,
John
I've only ever used Acrylic varnish to seal it - AK Glossy & Humbrol Clear. The only wash I've used with True Metal is Vallejo ink
Dave

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave,
Well, the Humbrol I do have. I'll just experiment with the Humbrol enamel washes and see what transpires...
Thanks for the feedback.
John

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave,
Another thought...
When you lay down the Humbrol Clear, do you use it neat or thin it down?
Kind Regards,
John

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave,
There are so many variables to the entire process that I am trying to eliminate as many as possible, leaving only the persistent ones (e.g. ... me :tears-of-joy:)
Regards,
John

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
There are so many variables to the entire process that I am trying to eliminate as many as possible, leaving only the persistent ones (e.g. ... me :tears-of-joy:)
Regards,
John
John,
when I first used TM, I experimented on all sorts of plastic, models & sprues to see what effect priming ( black is best )/non priming?, how to apply? - brush, cotton bud, finger . - it depends on how big the area is! Part of that was varnish & I found all acrylic varnishes worked OK. I ditched all my enamels & solvent based paints a few years ago, so I didn't try any experiments with them.........
Dave

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave,
Well, if I can get to being able to produce models to the standard of your cars above, I would be chuffed to bits and felt I had made a lot of progress. :thumb2:
Appreciate the help.
John