AK Weathering pencils

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I recently bought some sets of these pencils from John after watching some stuff on YouTube. One set I was particularly interested in straight away was the rust and streaks set. The boxes come in sets of five pencils, the tips of each pencil sharpen very easily so the waxy colour section can be taken to a fine point if required. I just tried them very quickly on a piece of undercoated plastic as can be seen in the accompanying pics.
First up the box.

AK1.jpg

I wet the end of the dark rust pencil then started to colour in the plastic, keeping the tip wet as I put more down, I then started to work in some of the other colours and started to blend them together with a damp brush.

AK2.jpg

As I was short on time I just let them dry out and this was the result.

AK3.jpg

Personally I quite like the look for a first effort. I've got several more sets to try out yet so will show the results if anyone is interested.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Mick these rust pencils are they proof against water ? as these would be very handy to me to show rust streaks on my ship hull around the anchor's an such ive treid to brush painting rust on the hull but it just don't look right an you bought them from john 's forum shop ? an how much please ? if you don't mind
chris

Pete Low

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Mick very interesting please share your results.
Pete :thinking:.

SimonT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Simon
I think they are really designed for making small chips and streaks rather than covering large areas

I have a few boxes of these AK ones and will probably be trying them out on the 222 but have previously used water soluble art pencils that have been around for years by Caran d’Ache and others

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I have some watercolour pencils too. I wanted to see what larger areas looked like after watching a guy doing rusty oil drums. Nothing ventured

SimonT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Simon
Fair enough Mick

I've done similar tests with artist pastel chalks in the past but came to the conclusion that paint was best with the chalks just for adding detail and texture.

Having tried my AK pencils this afternoon I have reached pretty much the same conclusion. In fact, apart from the rust tones for exhausts and streaks and maybe the black/greys I think they will be of limited use

I shall be watching to see what you think of the other sets