Al Fresco model building

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I find myself over this weekend working with my pal Nigel Julian (Lampie) of P-47 SIG and 56th FG website fame. To keep ourselves entertained we decided to build a couple of models. Our work bench is under a stage and somewhat less well appointed than those at our respective homes.

I sent Nige out for the models which was my first mistake ! He came back with a P-47 for me and bagged a P-51 for himself. They are both Airfix starter packs and we've agreed to only use what is in the box,plus a Stanley knife and nail file.

Here's some shots of the protagonists with their intended victims. Not for the sensitive,squeamish or small children.

I'm not sure why Nigel appears art ninety dgrees to perpendicular,actually not that unusual for him.

These models have to be built and painted and posed in flight by Sunday evening. They will hang over the heads of well known beat combo 'Madness' that night,whatever state they are in.

Progress report tomorrow!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
"Welcome to the house of fun" springs to mind....

And the best part is you are getting paid to build them. I know you would go pro one day.....

I'll get my coat.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Going to be very interesting steve, as i recall the airfix p47 is ancient!!Painting them with the cheapo brush and paint by numbers paint pots is going to be a laugh too. Dont forget, extra points for not getting gluey fingerprints on the canopy!! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Progress. My P-47 doesn't fit very well (I've ripped the top of the wings off in the piccy to make some 'adjustments'). Nigel's is much harder to paint in a NMF. I've decided that the Halfords primer we've allowed externally is a dead ringer for neutral grey which helps.

24 hours to go

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
We have a coat of paint on them. We got another one on after this piccy.

The paint is awful,if we hadn't primed I don't think it would have worked at all which is tough on a kid buying one of these.

The finish is very rough which will make decalling fun. Remember we've no varnish,microsol,or anything much else.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Built

Rigged to go onstage later. This is a backstage test.

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here they are rigged and ready for 'Madness'

Final shot to follow.

Cheers

Nige and Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant Steve,

Did Sugs ever notice what was going on above him ? Now we've seen extreme ironing on the web - so what's next, extreme modelling...................oh dear the possibilities are endless !

Colin M..........

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
They knew that they were there. Difficult to take a good photo with a phone in the face of a lot of stage lighting but you can just about see them here.The P-47 is right infront of one of the pars at the front unfortunately.

It was all good fun which is the whole point of a hobby anyway.

Cheers

Steve