AlanG's 1/32 Revell Bf109 G6/R6 from 3./JG300

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just caught up Alan, some great work on the office. the chipping as worked a treat.

Cheers Ian. Learning new things as i go along.

Looking forward to starting the P-38 GB tomorrow too.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The pit looks spot on. But those belts brought back some memories. I used the same ones on a 1:32 He111. Probably not an experience I will repeat in any hurry.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Cockpit is looking great and as others have said the chipping/scratches etc have turned out really well. Those belts look very natural - worth the effort.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The pit looks spot on. But those belts brought back some memories. I used the same ones on a 1:32 He111. Probably not an experience I will repeat in any hurry.

I'm inclined to agree. I used them in the past but that was before my fingers got really bad with arthritis. Now i find them a pain to make up and whilst they look the bees knees, i think PE belts will suffice from now on.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Got a little bit done today. Got the seatbelts installed but i can honestly say i am going with PE ones next time. Yes they are worth it if you have the time and patience, but i don't now. also like my Fw190 build i have drilled out the machine gun barrels. I think it makes it look more real. I've replaced the kit exhausts with AIMS resin ones and i think they look a whole lot better too.

Now i can finally get some RLM 02 down and start building up the main fuselage.

IMG_1522.JPGIMG_1523.JPGIMG_1524.JPGIMG_1526.JPGIMG_1527.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Paul. I think it does add a little something to it.

Put the cockpit in now and started building up other little ancillaries. By jove it's starting to look like a plane now :smiling3:

IMG_1528.JPG

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I think thats a wingy machine, but will check. Lovely progress Al

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Bob.

Seems like us wingy thing modellers are suckers for punishment. We spend all that time, money and effort into detailing a cockpit, only going on to hide most of it when it's fitted to a fuselage lol

But still i am progressing slowly but surely. Time to start building up the wings. But that's for tomorrow. Tonight is film night with SWMBO and a few glasses of coconut rum :smiling3:

IMG_1529.JPG

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Started building up the wings. Slight mishap with the glue on one of the leading edges, so will have some sanding and probably filling to do to hide my error. On a plus point though the seam line on the upper and lower section of the fuselage doesn't need removing as the real aircraft had this. Just need to clean up the sprue attachment points :smiling3:

IMG_1530.JPGIMG_1531.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Really starting to look the part. Isn't it nice when a kit has joins where there is supposed to be a line so you don't have to fill and sand :thumb2:
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well i'm slightly surprised but also impressed that i've just found my first and only fit issue with this kit. Yes i know it is only a couple of years old but knowing what you can buy these kits for, i feel it makes them even more of a bargain.

The join on the upper surface of the wing has a gap between the two parts (on both wings). Won't take much to fill it but it's there. Still this isn't a Tamiya 'shake n build' kit so i'll happily accept it.

IMG_1534.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Whilst i'm waiting for the filler to dry on my wings i thought i'd make a start using the Montex masks. First trying out a simple one for the spinner. First painted the yellow, masked then painted the black. I like it!

IMG_1535.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Whilst i'm waiting for the filler to dry on my wings i thought i'd make a start using the Montex masks. First trying out a simple one for the spinner. First painted the yellow, masked then painted the black. I like it!

View attachment 353150
Very neat job Alan , even with a dedicated mask a ring on a spinner is a very tricky thing to get looking straight , this looks perfect. Cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Tony. It's not perfect but it'll do for a stationary model lol.

Been chasing my backside all week at work so got nothing done to the model. Had a spare hour today so made a start on the undercarriage. I've heard this is the weakest part of the kit with some people reporting that theirs have collapsed under the weight of aftermarket additions. Having seen the design of the bits and actually put them together now i can see why. What a total stupid way of manufacturing the undercarriage. It looks rubbish and looks flimsy too. If i build this kit again (and i have plans to for another nightfighter), i'll be using a set of brass undercarriage legs.

IMG_1541.JPGIMG_1544.JPG

Reactions: JR

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking good on the airframe Alan, neat paintwork on the spinner too :thumb2: .
Hopefully the undercarraige holds up for your add-ons.