AlanG's 1/32 Revell Bf109 G6/R6 from 3./JG300

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Very strange way of doing the undercarriage leg isnt it. Why didnt they just mould it as one single piece, surely theyve got the moulding technology ? The brass replacements sounds like the best idea for the next one al.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Al, Is it possible to drill down and insert a brass rod to reinforce the leg?

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Paul. It probably would be possible but for now i'm just going to let it go and see what happens. I haven't got that much aftermarket resin on it really.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sorry for no updates. Not really much to show at the moment. Just painting up ancillaries before they are fitted to the main kit. These should be done by today and then tomorrow will be fitted to aircraft ready for the start of the main painting. Just wish i had more time and energy to put into this kit. Been doing 12 hour days for the last 12 days so i'm shattered every night when i get home. But it's getting there. Will post some pics when i start the main painting.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Ask the misses to read you a Stug bed time Story!

In the beginning was the Stug etc, etc

• Haha

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Don't need a story to fall asleep. Just a hot shower and a hot meal and then i'm away lol. The amount of times SWMBO has woken me up in my reclining chair to tell me to go to bed instead.

Still it's paying the bills so that is all that counts. And this weekend is model time :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just about all the ancillaries painted. Only thing i've forgotten was to order was the canopy masks. Yes the Montex masks came with canopy masks, but they are for the Hasegawa kit and not the Revell kit. There is a distinct difference in sizes between the two. Hence i shall either have to mask freehand or order some.

Also added the 20mm underwing cannons. The certainly change the look of the aircraft.

IMG_1545.JPGIMG_1546.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
And so the terrifying moment i start using the Montex masks for real. Painted the white on first then have started to use the national markings masks. They aren't cut great and are slightly out of size (they are for the Hasegawa kit and not the Revell kit). But it's a new challenge for me and i'm hoping to do a good enough job with them to try them again. I have plenty of other subjects i'd like to use them on.

IMG_1550.JPGIMG_1551.JPG

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good job Al, never heard of them

Bob

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Bob. They are a mask for painting on decals instead of using a water-slide version. This way you get no carrier film on your model to potentially silver or rip. Plus you could fade the decal colour to what you want it to be

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Al, one more thing to shove into my tiny brain lol

• Haha

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Masks look great al , have you just got them for the crosses or all the markings?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Tony. The pack comes with spinner ring, national crosses, swastikas, aircraft number and internal/external canopy masks. They do them for all sorts of aircraft. I have a set for my Me262 and a Fw190 A5. Thinking of getting them for a JV44 Fw190 D9

Black painted. Now to re-mask the black and then get on with painting the number and swastikas. After that it's down with the actual aircraft paint colours.

IMG_1552.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well that's the Montex masks placed. Bit fiddly in places due to them being small. But time and patience is the key. Time to start painting the RLM 76 :smiling3:

IMG_1555.JPGIMG_1556.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Fernando. Done a few mistakes with them but i know what to do for the next time i use them. This whole build has been a learning process for me. From the pre-chipping, resin aftermarket and now the masks. I'm enjoying it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You have made a fantastic job of this throughout the whole kit.
Love what you have done with the office and the belts finish it off to a T. (I tried those fabric belts once and if I recall tossed them across the room! And I am a patient man! lol).

I lookforward to the main paint sessions.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ian. Not done anything to it for a week or so. Been working like a trojan and also was away for a well deserved family break to spend some time with SWMBO and my sons.

Hoping to get some RLM 75 down this weekend (after work again). Need to catch up after all these other GB finishes lol

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Finally got hold of a set of canopy masks. I went for the Montex ones as they do an inside/outside mask set. They are fantastic. Far better than the masking tape ones from Eduard imho. Now that the canopy is done i can finally get the RLM 75 down and then mask off the Erla design for the RLM 76.

IMG_1561.JPGIMG_1562.JPG