AlanG's 1/35 Tamiya Stug IV (StuG Group Build)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The kit came with a set of the famous Tamiya vinyl tank tracks. I've just about got my head around how to paint them. My question is, do i connect them together before i put them on the tank or do i add the wheels to the tank and then connect the tracks together?
With these kinds of tracks and Tamiya-style poly caps in the wheels, this is real easy. First connect the tracks (before or after painting, though you may need to touch them up if you paint first), then add all the wheels except the idlers to the vehicle. Hook the track over the drive sprocket so the teeth engage in the holes, then put the idler wheel in the track and bring it back to its axle, where you can now push it on. Repeat on the other side.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well i sprayed the tank with Vallejo Matt varnish this morning and it had a reaction and went a milky white all over. Maybe i didn't shake the bottle enough. I've heard this happening with Humbrol varnishes before but never Vallejo. Anyway i recovered the tank straight away with Hannants Flat varnish and it seems to have got rid of most of the white.

Next question is though. I have lost my little bit of paper with the Vallejo Model Color numbers on it for Dot 44 uniform camo pattern. Does anyone have the numbers i need?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Al

I am having problems with Vallejo varnish myself, it needs to shaked for about a week, ordered another make from John to see how that works, not a clue about the paint sorry

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
First track added now. Also put some staining around the muzzle and exhaust. Just waiting for the other set of wheels to dry so i can add the remaining track. Then it's time to paint the figure and it's done.

IMG_1791.JPGIMG_1792.JPGIMG_1793.JPGIMG_1794.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Made a start on the tank commander today. Cannot paint faces for the life of me so not even trying to make it look great.I'm wanting to give the commander a Dot44 (Pea Dot) sort of camo scheme. Here's my efforts so far. Base colour of brown, then added two greens. Final colour is a flesh colour. Will be applying all the dots once this has dried.

IMG_1795.JPGIMG_1796.JPGIMG_1797.JPGIMG_1798.JPGIMG_1799.JPG

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alan

Looking really good so far.....and as for all those dots!!! Eek!!! :anguished:

Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Andrew. Oh the fun of spending an afternoon making dots with a cocktail stick. Living the high life i am ;)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking good Alan. I'd be tempted to just use a wash on the face, but I'm hopeless at figures.
Pete

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
You did a good job on the figure Alan, the StuG is looking great too with the tracks on :thumb2: .
Steven

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The painting of the camouflage is very nicely done, but it reminds me more of modern Bundeswehr Flecktarn than Waffen-SS “pea-pattern” …

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Bob. Final pic of the figure. I've given him a filter wash and then went over with some pastels. Made the camo seem a little more worn and dirty. Time to wrap this build up. Just need to put the final track on, give it a blast with matt varnish all over and it's done.

IMG_1807.JPG