AlanG's 1/35 Tamiya Stug IV (StuG Group Build)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. Wish i had some brighter rust pigment to make a few lighter spots. But hopefully santa will bring me some.

D

Deleted member 7181

Have you got any lighter/brighter colours you could mix into the rust you have to perk it up?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alan looking good so far and the pigments turned out well on the exhaust!!

ATB

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Exhaust is excellent, looks very realistic.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ok thought i'd try something different instead of the red brown colour. I have had a bottle of Vallejo Model Air Rust sat in my draw since the beginning of time and so i thought i would use that instead. Once this dries properly i'll add the hairspray and then the tri-colours. Then it's chipping/scratching time. I'm interested as to what you guys think of the added rust colour?

IMG_1694.JPGIMG_1695.JPGIMG_1696.JPGIMG_1697.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Not sure i've done it right but it's sort of scratched/chipped. Do i have to seal in the underneath colours with varnish before i spray the hairspray? Here's what it looks like at the moment.

IMG_1700.JPGIMG_1701.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ok so i've stripped the side armour panels as i wasn't happy with the chipping effect. Some of the chips went all the way through all layers of paint (and i wasn't rubbing hard). So i was wondering if the hairspray i used could make a difference? We had this tin of maximo cheapo stuff around the house from somewhere back in the depths of time. Is this ok to use or does it have to be a particular brand?

IMG_1706.JPG

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's looking really nice Al. Quick question as our kit instructions look the same. One of the last bits shows two triangular brackets that are shaped to go under the rear fenders but around the rear idler? housing. I'm at a loss how to fit them so they're still in the spares pot.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Same here Mick. I couldn't get them to fit at all.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
The gap between the underside of the fender and the housing is quite significant considering the size of the parts, spares they are then.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
@Bobthestug mostly. What colours are the tools on the StuG IV? Are there any wooden parts or can i paint the whole lot black?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The handles on the shovel, pickaxe, bolt cutters and similar are wood.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Al, the cutters had a baker-lite finish, a reddish brown and the tip of the shovel is often molded with its location bracket, this should be the same as the vehicle

Cracking work by the way, now wheres the mud and dust!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That's looking really nice Al. Quick question as our kit instructions look the same. One of the last bits shows two triangular brackets that are shaped to go under the rear fenders but around the rear idler? housing. I'm at a loss how to fit them so they're still in the spares pot.
I have built the Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV and yes the two plates are a right pain to fit, good solution ;)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
By jove old bean i think i may have cracked it. Changed the varnish to Klear and it seems (on initial attempts) to stop the water soaking all the way through. allowing me to rub the paint away. Just need to try it on the exhaust next as that will be the real test because most of the paint will be missing.

IMG_1709.JPGIMG_1710.JPG