AlanG's 1/35 Tamiya Stug IV (StuG Group Build)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well the side armour things came out ok but the exhaust failed again. So it's going to be painted rusty and pigmented over the camo paint. Fed up of trying the hairspray technique. Going for maskol next time. Far easier to use

IMG_1715.JPGIMG_1716.JPGIMG_1717.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers James. A totally made up colour scheme but i had fun doing it. Will try and replicate it on the body of the StuG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Whilst i'm waiting for the NMF to dry on the P-38 (i'm leaving it 24 hrs to dry properly), i thought i'd do a little painting on the StuG. So here it is. Totally fictional paint job. I just let the paint flow and seen what it gave me.

IMG_1739.JPGIMG_1740.JPGIMG_1741.JPGIMG_1742.JPGIMG_1743.JPGIMG_1744.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
With vehicles like these, it doesn’t matter if it’s a fictitious paint job as long as it looks plausible — it's not like the real ones were painted in standardised patterns like many modern vehicles, after all. This looks certainly believable to me.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Jakko

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Whilst i'm waiting for the NMF to dry on the P-38 (i'm leaving it 24 hrs to dry properly), i thought i'd do a little painting on the StuG. So here it is. Totally fictional paint job. I just let the paint flow and seen what it gave me.

1943-onwards vehicles came from the factory in the dark yellow........units were given paint in reddish brown and green and were allowed to apply it how they wanted.......from sprayers to brushes to rags.........so it was all pretty well made up....one reason why you cant really get it wrong lol,

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It's a big :thumb2: all round Al

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Late to the party - sorry. I'll squeeze in at the back.
You're certainly making a great job of a first armour build. I love the paint job. As for the hairspray technique, I find it far too hit and miss - no predictable results. Using proper chipping fluid is so much better.
Just don't forget yourself and stick wings on it - Bob wouldn't like it :tongue-out3:
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Wings, wings nnnnnnnoooooo:tongue-out3:

Lovely job Al, i have a few photos of tankers with a spray gun in the field slapping it on.

Very impressive:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Tried maskol in a few places (1st pic) to see how i got on with it. Will need a bucket load of practice to make it work next time. In the mean time i'm painting on rust with Vallejo Model Air Rust (other pics). Going ok so far me thinks

IMG_1749.JPGIMG_1750.JPGIMG_1751.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Trying more of this weathering lark. Using Flat Brown for rust. Thinking of ordering some AK Worn Effects and Heavy Chipping fluid for future builds. I am not going through this malarkey again.

IMG_1756.JPGIMG_1757.JPGIMG_1758.JPG

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
coming on well Al, it sure takes practice and time!

carry on sir!