AlanG's 1/35 Tamiya Stug IV (StuG Group Build)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Right for the final time i am trying this chipping/weathering lark on the exhaust. I've cleaned up, re-painted with base colours of Vallejo black, flat brown and orange brown. Added the rust dust. Just need to seal it in with a varnish then i am going to give this AK Worn Effects stuff a go. All the reviews i've seen say it is good. I didn't go for the heavy chipping as i wanted something that would be a little more subtle.

IMG_1766.JPGIMG_1767.JPGIMG_1768.JPG

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat start with the weathering Al, hope the experiment pays off with the fluid.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Fernando. If it doesn't then it'll stay as is. Need to move on with this build so i can clear my bench a little

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
All done. Need to apply matt varnish and maybe a wash. But other then that i'm done with it. This AK Worn Effects has some really good potential. I can see it would work well on aircraft wings where pilots/groundcrew get on and off the wings.

IMG_1769.JPG

D

Deleted member 7181

Good to see you're getting better results with the worn effects fluid. I bought some myself since I wasn't having much luck with hairspray, but haven't tried it yet.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Andy i totally recommend it. I think the Worn Effects will be more controllable than the Heavy Chipping fluid. From what i've seen the Heavy Chipping removes a lot more paint faster and could potentially be more easy it mess it up and give undesired results.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Right i've added the decals but now need to seal them in ready for the oil wash. Question is..... Do i use gloss varnish or satin varnish? This tank is quite beat up so i want it to look 'grimy(ish)'

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Definitely not gloss — very few AFVs are painted with gloss paint, especially in wartime.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Definitely not gloss — very few AFVs are painted with gloss paint, especially in wartime.

I was just thinking for the wash Jakko. The last varnish coat it's getting will be a matt coat

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Right a total first for me and an experiment. I've used oil colours for the first time to make a 'filter'to try and tone down the camo. I used Burnt Sienna and Titanium White heavily thinned down. I think it has made a difference between the first two photos (taken under lamp light). Although, i think i might 'clean up' it a little more.. The third and forth photos are taken in natural light to see if it worked.

IMG_1779.JPGIMG_1782.JPGIMG_1783.JPGIMG_1784.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looking good Alan, the camo is indeed toned down a bit.
I like to add some pin wash or dry-brushing at this stage to pop up the smaller details, but that's a personal choice :poop: .

PS: Oh and a bit late but I always use this dremel bit (26150125JA) to clean-up barrel holes, I turn it around with my fingers.
Dremel-26150125JA.jpg
Cheers,
Steven

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That filter gives a nice 'faded' effect Alan.
Pete

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looking very good Al

as Pete says nice worn and tired look, for a first armour build you are doing a great job, well done

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Pete & Bob.

Will definitely build another armour kit after this (not a StuG though Bob, sorry). Been looking at Jagdpanthers, Panther Gs and King Tigers on Scalemates this afternoon. So much choice and so little finances lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Pete & Bob.

Will definitely build another armour kit after this (not a StuG though Bob, sorry). Been looking at Jagdpanthers, Panther Gs and King Tigers on Scalemates this afternoon. So much choice and so little finances lol
WHAT!!!! i need to work harder on you Al ;)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The kit came with a set of the famous Tamiya vinyl tank tracks. I've just about got my head around how to paint them. My question is, do i connect them together before i put them on the tank or do i add the wheels to the tank and then connect the tracks together?

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I always connected them when they were on, but that's more difficult. I think most instructions will tell you to connect them first and them put them on the tank, but sometimes those tracks don't stretch enough...

I would leave the back-wheel off, mount the tracks and get the last wheel in.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looks great Alan :thumb2:
The tracks seem to fit nice around the wheels too.
Steven