AlanG's 1/48 Academy P-38J

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice Alan, by all accounts it builds up nicely and is well detailed. Cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'd prefer to do an ETO P-38 as the PTO never has captured my imagination. But needs must.

The kit certainly looks decent enough. I just hope i don't get bitten by the curse of the fragile Academy decals yet again.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well i made a little start on the kit tonight. Just painted a few interior parts (after direction on colour from Ron). Not many bits in this kit so should make some progress tomorrow. But the NMF is going to be the real test on this kit. I'll have to get my seam lines right....EEK!

IMG_1547.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Small update. Painted the cockpit and glue into the fuselage. Not going for detail as i'm more focused on the painting ahead. Not much to this kit if i'm honest. Some of this kit doesn't fit great and some sanding is needed. But it''s an Academy kit so nothing i'm not prepared for.

IMG_1671.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just a couple of bits glued together. Not much of an update but just to let @papa 695 know that i haven't forgotten this GB. I'm concentrating on this rather than that little tankie thing ;)
As mentioned in previous posts the fit isn't great and there is going to be quite a bit of filling/sanding to do.

Excuse the messy desk lol

IMG_1722.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just about ready for black primer. Weight in nose is drying. I've sanded most seams but they are still showing. Cannot be bothered to play with them anymore as the fit of this kit isn't great and i'm going to lose a lot of detail if i continue. This is a typical Academy build imho. And i haven't even got to the decals yet. Yikes!

Anyway. Brush painted the exhausts in Vallejo Metal Colour Gunmetal. Looks very nice indeed. Next primer, then a first attempt at NMF with Vallejo Metal Colour paints. I'm going to try and pick out a few panels to break up the NMF colour

IMG_1726.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Vallejo Metal Colour black primer added. First time i've ever cleaned a model (with IPA) before painting and added a total cover primer. I normally only ever prime areas that will be painted yellow, white or red.

IMG_1733.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looks nice Alan, I put their aluminium on my shopping-list too, read a lot of good reviews about it.

Looking forward to the rest of the build :thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looking good Al. I used the Vallejo metal stuff before and found it pretty good :thumb2:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Alan the silver is amazing good job