AlanG's 1/48 Academy P-38J

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. Going to try and highlight some panels with different shades. Not sure it'll work but if i don't try then i won't know :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Great looking metallic finish. I like the Vallejo Metal Color range. For acrylics they are excellent. Interested to see how the panel variation works.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I've used Duraluminium to 'highlight' the control surfaces, engine panels and a few fuel caps. I've turned off my hobby light because it's to bright and doesn't let you see the effect. I think natural daylight will be the better light to see it in. So sorry for the quality of the light in the pictures.

IMG_1737.JPGIMG_1738.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job on the panels Al , so often we see NMF aircraft that are about fifty different shades of silver with hardly any panels the same colour, very skilful yes but realistic ? Personally i take the same approach as yourself , mainly control surfaces and the odd access panel , unless photos of the real thing show more. Cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Tony. I did consider doing a few more panels but as this is my first attempt at a NMF i thought i'd just keep it simple for now

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice Al. I think I sprayed mine the same paint. Like you, I also discovered getting a decent pic of a nmf is really difficult.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
That is very effective :thumb2:
- often we see NMF aircraft that are about fifty different shades of silver with hardly any panels the same colour, very skilful yes but realistic ?
Totally agree. I saw a large scale plane on a club table at Telford which looked like a patchwork quilt. Very neatly done but not realistic.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Tony & Joe. Getting there. Still really impressed with the Vallejo Metal color paints. Brush on easily too