Alan's Tree Growing Experience

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Alan, it's looking good. I would normally pre-drill all the holes about six per level. The next level about 1 1/2 cm and progressively get shorter including the branches as you reach the top. The next hole in the level is drilled in between the last level holes so that you get good coverage. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Jim
Wow happy to see this thread. I stepped away from aircraft and started doing dioramas and I picked some of this stuff when I was out mowing. I thought hey I know I can use that for something, maybe tropical plants. Now you have given me a direction to go with it, thanks.

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
That tree looks very good indeed. As you say the next one, taking into account what you have learned from this one, will be better still.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So a little time (ok a lot of time) has past since i did this first experimental tree thing. But it has all faded now and the food colouring hasn't took to it. But i think that it is because i didn't use enough of it. Anyways. I thought about trying to make the branches a little more 3d rather than looking quite flat.

so i bought a really cheap pack of 1mm green static grass. covered one of the branches in PVA and covered it with the grass via my very cheap applicator. Here is the results. Might need another application but i'm quite happy with that.

01.png02.png

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Looks good. The only way to get something like this right is to keep trying new ideas.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Gave it another coat and i think it looks well better. More dense and really gives it a pine tree look about it. will defo try this out again when it comes to making my Ardennes diorama.

03.png04.png

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Have to agree it look really good Allen .The 1 mm gives a nice thickness to the branch, as long as the extra weight doesn't effect the way the branch sits on the trunk I think you've cracked it .
Some reading this may think I'm being over critical on the weight, but the fern weighs so little and the stems are really thin a few grams of 1 mm scatter could bend the stem down .I hope not

Allen did you press the stems atall ? I left mine under some heavy books in-between kitchen paper for about a week .

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes they have been pressed John.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Some reading this may think I'm being over critical on the weight, but the fern weighs so little and the stems are really thin a few grams of 1 mm scatter could bend the stem down .I hope not

Just had a quick check and whilst it is sagging a little, that is probably because of the way i stored it whilst it dried. So all in all it hasn't made that much of a difference. And to help it stay in shape for when i do it for real, i will dry them hanging down.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think you have found a great way to beef the branches up Allen . Agreed because although mine looked good they were too sparse, now we know what to do next time.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
That looks really good - the rowan trunk gives a great natural look as it's not straight, if you wander through a pine wood - even if planted by the forestry commission - there's very few straight trunks in there!