Albatros D.V 1:48

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Graham,

You could always buy a few pigs to go with the rest of your livestock! That'd use up the surplus pink!

Gern

N

noble

Graham this is amazing work the cockpit detail is cool, love the little personel touch on the guns as well i will follow this thread with anticipation can't wait to see what it looks like.

scott

F

Fenlander

Got some pigs, a couple anyway with a few piglets to.... still not going to use that much pink lol. The actual colour, been doing a bit of reading up, is Cotta as in terracotta. Which I can only assume is some reference to a pinkish rather than red/orange of terracotta. The name does not help as Terracotta comes from the latin Terra Cotta, earth baked. But the only real reference I have seen to the actual colour is "A pinkish colour tinted with grey" but I have not been able to find out why, I assume it has to be something to do with the rubber manufacture.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I dont know what you could call it but I think the colour you are after, is best described as a very light grey/off white with the tiniest hint of pink. I belive the house paint colour that comes to mind would be mushroom pink. Think it was a dulux. dont know if that helps?

Ian M

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Tyres are black because they add a carbon compound during manufacture. Tyres of the period would have been latex based and even in WW1 the German industries suffered as a result of the blockade we set up.

Natural latex is grey coloured so it's probable that the pinkish bit was probably to do with the manufacturing process they used, to strecth limited rubber supplies as far as possible.

Doesn't help with the colour though. Apologies for that but hope this helps with a bit of background to it.

Best of luck.

Peter

F

Fenlander

Thanks Peter, that makes sense of it and adds weight to the "pinkish grey" colour, maybe not the bright Tamiya pink straight out the bottle. Great info.

C

Cov1

Graham, that is awesome. Im not a plane person as much as a land crab lover but I am liking that very much.

More please sir!

Ade

F

Fenlander

Been a bit of progress with the Abatros (very apt name as it is weighing me down and stopping me doing much else). Anyway, the thing with Bi Planes is that you cannot build them then paint them. You virtually have to paint it then build it. This is OK so long as everything fits, which I still don't know if it will or not. It is going to have to though, I am not turning back now.

With a paint then build, you have to follow a logical routine. Now, logically, you paint the lightest bits first and progress to the darkest. OK, not set in stone but it has worked for me. So today, I decided was paint as much as I can day. The lightest bit is the fuselage, a very light grey, so that was to be first. Until I realised I had missed a few bits off so that plan fell apart and I decided to paint everything I could except the fuselage. So I did.

A mock up of how it may look with the top wing on

The rather gorgeous tail, not glued up so don't mind the gaps (unless you are on a railway station then please do mind the gaps) Don't know why but iy looks a bit Celtic, Irish to me and even more so when the decals go on but you will have to wait and see what I mean by that. (sorry it isn't very sharp. been rushing to get pics done)

Finally the 'wooden' propeller done by spraying with Tamiya desert yellow and then wiping Burnt Umber oil on with a little bit of sponge.

Still an awful lot of work to do but I have broken the back of this build and it has finally started to come together.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking real good so far Graham and I specially like the wood effect on the prop. How did you get the red outline on the tail?

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
this is looking super graham, really liking the unusual colours. Youve cracked the wood effect first go ,it looks real, well done . this is coming together nicely now, keep the pics coming. cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Chers guys. Gern, the great thing about Eduard kits is in the detail. They supply a sheet of masks pre cut for the tail, bit of a pig to stick on right though. So it was a case of spray the green, mask and spray the red. There are even masks for the wheels! See, I am not that clever :laughing:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Graham. That prop looks very real.

N

noble

Looks well nice so far mate loce the colour scheme and especially the wooden prop.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Graham, this is gonna look fantastic - I love the WW1 planes - so much colour. The prop is brilliant!

Cheers

Paul